Chapter 22: Fuyuko's Blacksmith

Start from the beginning

"The color of your katana is always so strange." The blacksmith commented. "It is white but not entirely, it had a little hint of blue like an ice drifting into the fading blue ocean. It suits you perfectly"

Fuyuko returned the blade to its sheath and strapped it in her side before bowing down towards her him as a sign of respect and gratitude.

"Now that I have received my sword, I shall be going now." Fuyuko spoke. "Thank you and farewell, Yamamoto-san."

Fuyuko was about to leave, however, before she could turn and walk away, Hikaru called her. He smiled to her before averting his gaze to the nearby lake.

"As I said, the sword I made for you is my last, and I think that this will also be the last time that we would see each other again. Call me dramatic or crazy but I feel death lingering nearby with this weak and old body of mine." She could hear a hint of sorrow in his tone.

"So for this last conversation, can I ask a request from you, Kazahana-sama?" He asked as he returned his attention to her.

"State your request first." Fuyuko replied. "Then I'll decide."

"Alright, kid." He chuckled. "I just want to talk to you with honesty and sincerity. I have always been chatty but you rarely respond. In this last conversation with you, I want you to be as open as you could and say what is in your mind — no holding back."

"So will you accept this dying old man's wish?" He grinned.

While he is waiting for Fuyuko's reply, there was a brief silence that hung in the air before she finally decided to crumple the soft grass beneath her and sat beside him. She placed her new sword next to her and stared at the vast lake.

"Very well." She nodded in agreement.

"Thanks, kid." Hikaru then slid the box towards Fuyuko.

"What's this?" She asked.

"A wedding gift but it is more like a gift for the bride." He replied. "Seriously, you should have told me about your wedding, I would have been there and act as you father." He chuckled. "That would have been a sight to behold and an a great experience."

"Standing as a father to a bride?" Following his request, Fuyuko spoke what's in her mind. "How is that a great experience?"

"Your cold as ever, kid, and harsh. Though you wouldn't understand how this old man's loneliness work, brought upon his bad choices in life." He said. "I dedicated my entire life in making swords, too much that I didn't look for a woman or anyone who could take care of me when I am old. And now I am suffering for that mistake."

"Don't get me wrong, being a blacksmith for slayers like you is a noble work but I can't help but feel lonely sometimes, and regret for not managing my career ang personal life. I should have find a loving wife and make many children with her." He bitterly laughed. "I specifically wanted a daughter. How about you? Now that you are finally blessed with a husband."

"I don't know what children I would bear." She handled it more calm this time than the recent encounter. "Wouldn't be a son be more beneficial?"

"I don't really believe in crap like that. Having a daughter is as important as having a son. Yes, a son is essential in preserving the bloodline and inheriting the clan's name but with certain agreements, the daughter and her husband could also inherit the clan." He explained.

"Why do you prefer daughter?" Fuyuko asked again while unwrapping the red silk that covered the box.

"I like it. It wouldn't hurt to have beautiful flowers at home." He laughed once more. "I have seen many father's express love to their daughter, and how they cry when they see them on their wedding kimono, it was hilarious haha. But I also want to experience the same and be proud of my none existent girl. Be overprotective and protect her from harm along with my beloved wife."

"A kimono..." Fuyuko stated after finally opening the gift.

Inside, was a silky black kimono embroidered with hundredths of red roses, long stems of golden bamboos, and scattered white butterflies in different sizes. The garment is accompanied by a red obi with white sakura textile and a golden obi knot.

A variety of accessories is also in the box: golden hairpins with red glass-like roses, a red fan with similar design as the obi, and a red umbrella with spiral patterns of golden roses.

Lastly, a pair of wooden okobo sandals painted in shiny black, it have the same pattern as the kimono, while its red fabric thongs is pinned with golden roses.

"Do you like it?"

"Yes." Fuyuko responded while tracing the perfectly embroidered rose. "The designs are well made."

"Glad you like it, it took me days to find the right one for you because you always wear either your corps uniform or a plain kimono. Now that you have a husband, you should dress more lavishly." He proudly advised. "The experience made me feel like a father picking up a kimono for his daughter."

"It was a feeling quite strange like no other." He added with a grin.

"Thank you." Fuyuko then rewrapped the box back to its silky cover.