Chapter 10

Darq carried Luna into the cottage house and placed him on one of the wooden stools surrounding a medium wooden table before moving a few steps back, making way for Agatha.

"Oh my poor boy, what happened?" cried Grandma Agatha, who had been cooking in the kitchen when she saw Luna being carried in; she quickly wiped her hands clean and rushed into the room.

"Grandma, I'm alright."

"He fell from the tree and twisted his ankle; he would need a few days to rest," answered Darq

"How can I rest? So much needs to be done."

"It can wait; you need to let your ankle rest", said Grandpa Berto, coming around the corner.

"Grandpa"

"Dear, when did you get back?"

"I have been here since this lord mentioned Luna's ankle."

"Is there a doctor in town? We could invite them here for an examination.

"We could take Luna to see the doctor, but our only horse and carriage is heading to town now along with Bello and Bella and will not be back till dusk."

"If I may, I bought my horse with me; perhaps I could be of assistance," suggested Darq."

"No, my lord, you have already been of great help to my family. I do not wish to be a burden. We are already in your debt."

"It is not a burden; it is a matter of getting medical treatment for Luna. The faster we get the aid of a doctor, the faster he can heal." Replied Darq, taking a step further towards Luna from where he stood.

Although Berto wanted to retort, he knew that the best thing for Luna now was to seek medical aid; standing to the side, he watched as Darq bent down to scope Luna into his arms and walked out of the cottage house.

Berto and Agatha watched as Darq carried Luna to a black stallion with its head low, munching the green grass nearby. Sensing the arrival of his master, the horse stopped its movement and stood still, waiting for its master's command.

Darq carefully placed Luna on the horse before looking back at the couple standing far from him with a nod. He swung up on his horse and grabbed the reins; clicking his tongue, the horse slowly trotted away from the luscious green grass towards the town.

"Dear, are you sure Luna will be safe?" asked Agatha, watching as the two disappeared.

"Soon, it will only be me and you again, Agatha," said Berto with a statement of his own

"What are you saying, Berto."

"We have a lot to prepare. I feel we are about to lose our precious trio."

Luna sat horizontally with his legs dangling off the horse, his back supported by Darq's arm, keeping his head down, afraid that the person would see his flushed face. Looking at the distant hills and mountains, Luna remembered when he was just a tiny wee thing. Bello had been instructed by my grandpa Berto to watch over him so that no harm came to him while they were busy in the fields.

Due to his early age, Bello had been a boy full of curiosity and braveness, the same braveness that had left them stranded in those mountains until nightfall. Bella, who had realised they were lost, yelled and cursed Bello until she grew tired. The three of them were later found all bundled up together until Grandma Agatha and Grandpa Berto found them.

After being scolded by Grandma and Grandpa, Bello did not dare act brave again for the remaining summer.

Luna unconsciously smiled as he remembered those memories. Unaware that his smile had lit up a spark inside Darq's dark heart.

Clenching his jaw, Darq settled his inner power, afraid it would erupt inside him and scare the person in his arms; once his powers had been subdued, Darq opened his mouth to speak.

" What are you thinking?"

" it is nothing of importance, my lord."

" Anything involving you is important to me. Please enlighten me, too."

Luna turned his attention back to Darq, trying to find any jest in the words he had just spoken.Clearing his throat, Luna adjusted himself from his earlier position to sit straight, his back to Darq as he sat facing the front, getting a good view of the horse's head.

Afraid that if he stayed longer in his earlier predicament, the other man might see through his composure.

Luna leaned down further to pat the horse's neck, distracting himself, resulting in a loud "neigh" from the horse.

" It seems that my horse has taken a liking to you. Something it rarely does."

" Apologies, my lord. I should not have acted on my own."

" No apologies needed"

" Your horse is a very majestic beast. How did my lord come to possess such an amazing horse?"

" It is a long story; Obsidian was gifted to me by a divine being. This divine being had been injured I was only passing through and decided to lend a helping hand in return he gave me his most valuable item for saving his life."

" My lord is an honourable person."

" I am just a person; nothing is honourable about that."

" My lord has mistaken my meaning; my lord is correct. Anyone can be an honourable person. But it takes a true honourable person to see someone in need and not lend a helping hand. For example, my lord, help me and my family escape death's door, and for that, I am truly in your debt."

Darq did not respond. He only looked at the person in front of him. If only he knew how many died in his hands and the amount of enemies he had slain, their blood flowing out of their bodies enough to make the sea red.