jotaro: recognize pt. 1

setting: modern au, you're 24
content: fluff, angst
part 1!

I started this book when I was 13 😭 my first few oneshots were literally written by an 8th grader LOL forgive me for the bad writing... my writing has matured very much over the years!

Everyone is the same to me.

I can't recognize anyone. Not even my family, friends, or even myself. I look at myself in the mirror and see a stranger staring back at me.

I have prosopagnosia. A neurological disorder that doesn't allow me to recognize any faces. I've had this for 7 years after pushing someone out of harms way, which I have never regret, even after my diagnosis...

7 years ago...

"Y/N, smile!" Mom says.

I smile until my eyes are barely visible. I'm in Tokyo! Behind me is the Tokyo Tower. Hah, this reminds me of my photo with the Eiffel Tower that I took last year.

I sigh and take in all the busy scenery around me. I'm originally from Nara, which has nobody compared to Tokyo. Yes, it was busy — but not this busy. Yes, there were was a skyline — but not this bright and pretty.

I separated from my family because they wanted to go into a marketplace, but I wanted food. I wandered the busy street and waited at the crosswalk. I could see a street food store across fron me.

While I wait for the red light to turn green, a man passes me. He's wearing a dark coat with a chain on it and a hat that blends into his hair... odd. Why is he wearing his school uniform during spring break? I watch as he walks into the intersection and I call for him.

"Sir! The light is red! Please come back!"

I start to worry. He's looking down at his feet, either ignoring me or unable to hear me.

It was there that I see a speeding car with the driver on his phone coming up. I start dashing to him, "Hey! Come back, what the hell are you doing?!"

The car is about to hit him but I use the momentum from my sprint to shove him out of the way. I got hit instead.

Blood... I feel blood. It's warm, but the early spring weather is cool. I'm starting to lose my vision and hearing. I can make out a crowd around me, screaming for help and calling the police. I squint, trying to figure out who I saved. It hurts to move my head. With my last blink, I see the chain on his coat. He was...

Beautiful. Tousled, black wavy hair and deep teal irises. Thick, masculine eyebrows and a plump bottom lip.

I shut my eyes and drift away.

~~~

I awaken. The bright lights of my hospital room burn my eyes. I blink hard several times as voices talk over me.

"Y/N, my baby! You're awake, thank God!"

I look at the woman who said that, and I look at my doctor. Why... why do they look the same?

"Who... are you?" I ask.

~~~

Present...

I got accepted into a law school in Tokyo! It has always been my dream to live in the city. Good food and lots of people = lots of fun! (if I can even recognize them...)

I tell my parents and we all hug in excitement. My father, who is also a top lawyer, insists on getting me an apartment as a gift. I allow him, but I make sure he doesn't go over the top with it.

I eventually move into my cozy apartment. It isn't too spacious, yet I still feel like it's lonely. This apartment was clearly designed for a couple. There were separated wardrobes spaces within the master bedroom. I don't have a guest room, but my couch can extend into a bed.

I put the rest of my clothes down and stretch. Time to roam the city!

I wander around at sunset. One thing I do not like about roaming is looking at everyone pass by. I can't tell the difference between anyone. Yes, I see their clothes and hair, but if the same person were to change their clothes, I'd think they're someone different.

I wander and wander. Maybe it was my subconscious that somehow knew all the steps to this intersection, but I ended up at the same place I risked my life to save someone. I don't really remember what he looked like, though.

The crosswalk light turns green, and I look left and right cautiously before starting to cross. So many people are crossing as well. Everyone is monotone to me; they are all the same, nobody is different, nobody matters.

Then, something surprised me. A man passed me. He wore a long, white coat and his white hat somehow blended into his hair... odd...

I look up at him, expecting just another plain face of nothing, similar to everyone else. But I was so wrong.

I can see him differently than others. I can see every detail of his face. I can see his facial complexity and his expression. We locked eyes, and something controlled me. I grabbed his arm and we stopped in the middle of the intersection.

"Do I know you?" I ask him.