jotaro: arranged... kinda? pt 2

get yall's reading glasses on this is a heavy chapter

"Y/N, who is this guy? Do you know him?" Kenji asks, "I've never seen him before."

I try to find words to explain, but Jotaro's strong arm grips my right shoulder and pulls me towards him. I feel heat rushing to my cheeks and ears because of his protective grip.

"I-I, he's my-"

"I'm her fiancée. And you are...?"

I watch Ken (his nickname) as his face becomes purely distraught. I never told him I had a fiancée before, but that was only because I didn't have a fiancée until yesterday!

A tense atmosphere surrounds all of us. "Kenji Yoshida." he shakes hands with Jotaro as they give each other cold glares. "Y/N, I didn't know you had a fiancée."

I snap out of my mental spiralling and stammer, "Y-Yes, sorry about that. It's a new thing, my ring is just being resized right now."

"In fact, I didn't even know you had a boyfriend. He never picked you up from work before." Kenji instigates.

Jotaro's cold glare becomes even colder, which didn't seem possible. "Don't you think it's a little rude to assume things like that?"

"About that, I asked him not to pick me up. We prefer... dating... in private. You know how the junior editors are." I say awkwardly in defense. Saying we're dating was hard to let out because I barely know this man.

Ken's face softens, "Well then, congratulations on your engagement. I'll see you in the office." He walks away and Jotaro released me from his stubborn grip.

"Why are you here?" I ask him.

"To give you your ring, obviously." He responds and pulls out a ring box from his pocket. He opens it and shows me the beautiful yet simple engagement ring.

My jaw drops open slightly. I'm speechless. Frozen. I don't know what I should say or what I should do, hell, he didn't even propose properly!

He takes the ring out the ring box and waits for me to hold out my left hand. When I do, he slides it on and we look into each others eyes. His gaze awakens weird feelings in me. Why is this so intimate?

I shouldn't be feeling like this. Not after what happened in high school.

I'm visibly upset as I stare at the shiny ring on my hand. "Thank you, it's pretty."

He blankly stares at my expression, probably wondering why my face suddenly dropped. "I thought you'd like it. Could you give me your phone number? You know, so I can text you for meeting purposes."

"Right, pass me your phone." I ask. "Let's be friends as suggested. Are you free for dinner tonight?"

He's taken by surprise at my request, but agrees. "I'll free my schedule. Text me the place, I gotta get to work now."

I give him a shy smile and wave him goodbye as he walks to his car. He nods at me before getting in and driving off.

I start walking to the elevator and my thoughts eat me up again as I stare at the diamond on my ring finger. Maybe a loveless marriage is better, because I know what happened last time I loved someone...

I press the 20th floor button.

~~~

Flashback...

(You can use your ex's name but there is ⚠️assault so if you're more comfortable with someone fictional, let's name him Jiro)

I used to love someone.