Chapter 11 - Forest of the Zoroark

Following the plans Ghetsis laid out, the idea was to travel from city to city lecturing people of the evils of Pokémon ownership. Indoctrination was the word that the opposition used to describe it but that did not deter Team Plasma in the least. Ghetsis insisted that N come with him and observe how persuasive his speeches supposedly were.

N was generally obliging about it and would follow him around after the rallies, except on this particular day as his father finished his speech, dozens of his supporters surrounded him clamoring for a chance to ask questions or find out how to join Team Plasma. It was at this moment that a bored N started looking around and noticed a familiar face. It was Hilda. She was seated at a bench with her Vaporeon. 

N felt his heart skip a beat and, without thinking twice, hurried over to where she was sitting. 

"Hello Hilda," he greeted. She looked up and he noticed a sad look on her face. 

"Hello N," she replied. "Do you really agree with all that your father just said in his speech?"

"Well, it's all that I've heard him say my entire life," he answered honestly, "but I have thought that there are some Pokémon that actually enjoy being with humans and living with them on a day-to-day basis."

The Vaporeon sitting next to Hilda looked bored with the conversation and padded over to her bag. "I'm going in my den," the Pokémon said, which intrigued N.

He observed as the Pokémon pawed at Hilda's bag until a Poké Ball rolled out; pushing a button on the Poké Ball with its nose, Vaporeon vanished inside in a flash of light.

N was astonished. "Did Vaporeon just go into its Poké Ball itself?"

"Yes, it does that sometimes," Hilda affirmed.

"I thought they all saw Poké Balls as prisons," N questioned.

"Not really," she answered, "If a Pokémon doesn't want to live with a human, it will let you know soon enough. They will complain relentlessly. That is a rare occurrence however; they know they can be well fed and safe living with humans."

"I see..." said N and remained silent for a few moments as he thought this over.

They both sat there watching the crowds which were still surrounding Ghetsis in the distance.

"He's probably going to be busy for a long time," conceded N, "Why don't we take a ride on the Ferris wheel?"

"I've seen them, but I've never ridden on one," Hilda replied. "I think I'd be afraid to go up so high."

"Don't worry," N assured her, "I'll be with you. I've gone up on it already."

"Okay," she agreed, and before long they were seated on the giant wheel and riding to the top to view the spectacular landscape. Hilda gazed outside at Nimbasa City, all the way to the outlying wooded routes and distant mountains.

"It's beautiful!" exclaimed Hilda.

"Not as beautiful as you," said N suddenly.

This made Hilda turn from the view to look at him. She blushed and he noticed it.

He took her hand in his and said, "Hilda, you are very special to me. I think about you all the time. I believe I have fallen in love with you."

"I believe the same is happening with me N, but what would your father say if he knew that you are in love with a member of the opposition?" she asked.

"He must understand. He must," he answered with earnest, "We're heading to Driftveil City next. It would be good if you could meet me there at the Market in the center of town."