DOCTOR'S ORDERS PT. 02

My hours were weird at the gym. I guess that's what you'd expect from a part time job. Four hours here, six hours there. Just whatever they told me to work. Today was 8 to Noon. Not too bad for a Friday really, I had my afternoon wide open. I got to work the front desk which was actually really nice. I could've been stuck at the snack bar making shakes or folding towels in the laundry. This was...not too bad. People walk in, scan their key cards, and they're on their way. I just have to make sure the face matches the picture that pops up on the screen.

This wasn't your ordinary gym though. It was beyond fancy. I felt like I was at a five star hotel. There was even a fireplace in the lobby! All beautiful tile floors throughout the main level. Top of the line workout gear on the upper level. The locker room might as well have been a spa. With individual tile showers, a big whirlpool, sauna and steam rooms...I could get used to this.

I looked down at my phone and saw it was 11:30. So close. My mind continued to go over the events from yesterday. I'd almost thought I'd dreamt it, but I saw the app on my phone. Certainly I hadn't. I felt somewhat bad for not continuing our conversation last night. I guess I wasn't really sure if I was supposed to or not.

Traffic was starting to pick up. The lunch crowd had arrived...I'd been told it gets busy. People hurrying to get their workout in, beep, beep beep. One scan after another. It got tricky to come up with something new to say every time.

"Have a good workout!"

"Thanks!"

"Welcome back!"

I guess it would get more natural as I went. People kind of started going by in a hurry, until I recognized her. She had told me she worked out here, but I didn't think I'd see her this soon.

"Dr. Stevens!" I said with a smile. She was dressed in similar dress pants as yesterday, beige this time. With an almost identical white button down blouse. It looked lovely with her short blonde hair.

"I, uh...It's good to see you!" I finally stammered out.

Beep. She scanned her card and I saw her face light up on my screen.

"Great to see you too! I didn't know if you'd be working!" She stopped at the counter. Others kept on walking by.

"It's, uh...my hours are weird. I wish I had a set schedule, but whatever...lunch workout?" I asked her, dumbly.

"Of course! I like working some stress out in the middle of the day. Helps me get back and focus." She had a small gym bag over her shoulder. Her other hand was on her hip.

"Hey, so...how did everything go with that homework assignment?" She asked, in a very covert manner.

I stood there, motionless. I knew what she was asking.

Beep.

Beep.

Two others walking right by. This felt so...weird, to be talking about it. Right here. How did I possibly respond?

"It uh..." I stammered a bit. She stood there, confidently waiting my response. "Honestly, I...tried. Again...but, ya know..." I trailed off a bit.

"Didn't quite get...finished with it?" She asked with a hint in her voice.

"Yeah! Yeah, I guess you could say that." I said with a laugh. And then I added, "But it certainly wasn't for a lack of trying..." I added with a much more nervous tone to my laugh. I looked down at her mid section. I couldn't look her in the eyes when I said that part. It was all too...new. To be talking about this sort of thing.