Chapter 20 - New Realities

⚠️sexual abuse/hint of violence below.

HUNTER

She left my arms too soon. I still couldn't get over seeing her again after three years. My fingers touched the spot where her lips were, trying so hard to get the feel of her soft lips on my cheek back. She lost weight, but her body looked firm yet felt soft in my arms. The fresh fruity smell of her hair was familiar, the color thankfully the same shade of auburn I loved.

"Who was that?"

Dani was bristling, and I just had to sigh. She can be a piece of work sometimes, but I was not in the mood to argue. Since Elizabeth died, Dani had been a big help in raising Liam, but it didn't mean we should be together. I know she wanted to be with me. She never minced words even when Eliza was still with me, never mind that Eliza was her sister.

"That was Quinn."

"Quinn. THE Quinn of your college days?"

"Yes."

"Oh. I expected her to be prettier."

I detected the jealousy, laid down thick in the air. Dani was always territorial, even when she shouldn't be. I merely looked at her, wanting her to shut up. She probably realized her mistake and started pushing the cart.

"Will you see her again?"

"I don't know."

"I guess you would, with Eliza gone."

"You know Dani, I really would appreciate it if you sometimes filtered the things that go on in your head before voicing them out."

"Why? It's been a year since she died."

"Have a little sensitivity, ok? She's your sister."

She looked away, deciding to keep silent. Barely a month after Eliza was gone, Dani started showing up at the house and taking charge of things, which I appreciated because I knew I just had to return to work to get over the grief. I wanted to keep myself busy to stop thinking of Eliza. I know Dani hoped for more between us, but it will never happen.

She stopped the cart and faced me, holding onto my arm. "I'm here, Hunter. I met you first before Eliza did. I love my sister but she stole you from me, and Dad even supported you both. That fucking hurt. I've been patient, I stepped back for you both. I was with you to cope with Liam, to help you get over losing her. Don't you think I deserve a chance?"

"Was that the only reason you stood by me? To extract something in return?"

"I have feelings for you, Hunter."

"Don't remind me."

"And I see now why you don't want to be reminded. You're still hung up on Quinn."

"Dani, I'm still not over your sister's death, ok? I have no intention of replacing her any time soon. Not with Quinn, not even with you."

She turned away to hide the pain my words caused her. I owe her a lot, but I can't do this to Eliza or her dad. Dani and I will never happen.

"You really know how to drive a knife through the heart, huh?"

A movement from my peripheral vision distracted me. I saw Quinn looking at us, with Dani's hand on my arm, standing so close to me. I moved my arm away and pulled the cart towards the counter. As she paid for her purchases, I watch helplessly as Quinn walked out of the supermarket, regretting that I never had the chance to get her number or ask where she was staying.

The old yearning for Quinn ate at me again. It never left me, actually. Even with Eliza. And now seeing her only made this need for her stronger.

===