Chapter 24

Mac asks 'Who the fuck is Leon?' I shake my head; did I say that out loud? Shit... trying to fix my mistake, I answer 'No, sorry, I just, I just thought about something... let's get out of here and get some tools...' Confused, Mac stares at me suspiciously, saying 'yeeeah, sure...' However, behind me I notice another voice 'Hannah, Mac... What are you doing here?' I turn and see Luna holding Joe in her arms. He's barely conscious and he lifts his head weakly to figure out what's going on. The struggle is too much for him, therefore, in midair, his consciousness fades and Luna lays him carefully down into his bed. When she's done, she turns abruptly towards us and whisper furiously 'what the fuck are you two doing? You're not supposed to be here!' Mac whispers back 'Sorry, she just wanted some tools, I didn't think much about it' Irritated, Luna continues 'Was the door locked?' Mac answers 'Yeah, but...' Luna interrupts him 'No buts, a locked door means no entry! Urgh, we have to get you two out of here before Joe wakes up.' She ushers us out of the room, through the office and into the living room. She closes the door, turns, and says stricktly 'Mac, the door was locked! You knew she wasn't supposed to be in there! What the fuck were you thinking!' He walks towards her saying 'She just wanted some tools.' Luna narrows her eyes 'And you just willingly let her into one of the most secret rooms of them all.' He answers 'Yeah!' Luna grabs her hair and pulls it in frustration 'You know how much Joe's been working to keep things in order and you just had to go and act stupid because she wanted some tools! Couldn't you just get them for her yourself?!' With his hands in his pockets, Mac smirks 'What's the fun in that?' Luna fumes 'Uuurgh, you fucking jerk, you're lucky that I have to go help Joe, cause you're so fucked right now!' Mac smirks even more, saying 'bye bye, obedient little pup!' and makes a small wave with his hand towards Luna. Furiously, she bites her teeth together, turns on her heel and walks into the bathroom to gather a first aid kit for Joe.

Carefree, Mac plunges into the couch. I sit down next to him and ask, 'Why did you let me in?' He locates a cigarette from his pocket that he saved earlier and mumbles contently, 'I figured I had a chance of getting laid.' I laugh in disbelief, 'No, you're joking, right? You always joke about that stuff' He put the cigarette in his mouth, lights it and leans back with his eyes closed and hands holding his neck. A little uncertain by his silence I lean back into my chair silently, staring our in the room.

*****
A couple of hours later, Joe still hasn't woken up. Luna found some tools for me and now I've been sitting here on the floor, working. I'm upgrading my baseball bat by adding some long, sharp, nails on it. Mac lifts his head and moves it around to see better at my handiwork and say 'Nice job, real grunge/horror like weapon! I dig it.' I smile, finish up and say 'Thanks, I hope it'll be effective against the Beings.' Luna scoffs, saying 'It will, the Beings work like zombies, you gotta aim for the head with that thing or else, they won't die.' I look up at Luna saying, 'note taken...'

Suddenly we hear some rummage in Joe's bedroom. Luna turns her head to listen and asks, 'Is he up?' We hear a dump sound, and she says 'Oh, he's definitely up.' She rises from her chair and walks out of the room, headed towards Joe's. Mac says in a low voice 'that's what she said.' I punch his shin and he exclaims 'Au, bitch!' I answer 'jerk' but he doesn't answer, so we sit in silence until Luna returns with a slightly high Joe leaning at her shoulder. 'You ok?' I ask, Luna helps him sit down in the couch as he grunts and grunts 'Yeah, I'm alright.' Luna mumbles 'He's high on meds, though.' Mac leans in his chair towards Joe, saying 'You definitely look bad... what happened?' Joe laughs, saying 'Oh nothing, just a small bite that's all' Luna, who's sitting next to him, lifts his bandage and takes a look at the wound he's suffered 'We should get you to a doctor...' Joe scoffs, saying 'naaah, I'm fine!' Luna doesn't look like she agrees 'Mac, you still think Dimitri is willing to help?' I ask 'Dimitri?' Mac answers, 'He's this shady vet that we know in Detroit' Joe bursts out 'Dimitriiiii, oh yeah, let's visit him!' Mac and Luna lifts Joe from the couch and walk over to the kitchen painting with me following behind. He points his finger at the picture and we're off.