"You're gonna do great, sweetheart," you reassured her with a squeeze of the hand, and she squeezed yours back.

"Thanks, Eomma," she said, her boxy smile lighting up her face. "I'll miss you guys."

Nari was finally moving out of home, and into a house with some of her friends from university. You were terribly proud of her, but you were also terrified of her leaving. After all, for the first four years of her life, it had just been the two of you. It would be strange not to have her there any more.

"We'll miss you too," Namjoon said honestly. "Although I'm sure your sister will keep us more than occupied."

"Speaking of which, where is Jenna?" you asked, looking around for your youngest daughter, who had just turned seventeen a few months prior.

"Jenna!" Namjoon called out, glancing around for her too. At that moment, you saw a mop of black hair and round glasses pop up from behind the bushes on the far side of the lawns, closely followed by another brightly-dyed head of salmon pink hair and bright brown eyes, both of them looking guilty.

You pointed. "There she is," you said, letting Namjoon's eyes follow your finger to his daughter's dark hair, and Jimin and Jin's son, pink-haired Ari, who was trailing behind her, having asked to tag along for the day.

Ari had, in fact, begun life as a girl, and realised in his teens that he was much more comfortable as a boy. Jimin and Jin had been nothing but supportive during his transition. You liked to think - though you were biased - that Jenna's quiet but consistent friendship was also a great help, as the pair were the same age and in the same class. Jenna was always there for Ari, though she was never loud or boastful about it. For her, love lay in the little things.

She was so like her father in that way.

But now, as you watched Jenna and Ari shuffle out of the bushes, Jenna smoothing down her skirt and Ari brushing his hair back a little in an attempt to appear nonchalant, you knew that there was something more to her support for Ari than just friendship.

Namjoon sighed, clearly thinking the same thing. "I'm going to murder that Park-Kim boy if he's not careful."

"Oh, Joonie," you chided him, squeezing his arm. "Don't be such a grump. Can't you see that Jenna adores him?"

"He's a boy," Namjoon protested. "Jenna shouldn't be adoring anything except school. And maybe books."

You snorted with laughter. Namjoon was always ridiculously overprotective of his two daughters.

"Well, I think it's better they work it out now," you reminded him. "Or would you rather that they wait until Jenna gets unexpectedly pregnant with another man's baby? Is that a better way to do it, hm?"

Namjoon shrugged defiantly. "Worked pretty well for us," he grumbled.

"Right," you agreed sarcastically. "You know, you can just admit when I'm right and you're wrong, Joonie. You don't have to be such a stubborn butthead all the time."

Namjoon tutted, pulling you in by your waist to face him now. "All these years later. And you're still calling me a butthead."

"Yep," you said proudly, smiling at him. "And I don't plan on stopping."

"Fine," he conceded. "But you'll be paying for it later, woman."

You giggled at the nickname. "I look forward to it."

Namjoon simply gave you a dimpled grin, gazing down at you with a mixture of mischief and desire. To you, he had barely aged, only a few tiny grey hairs giving away that he was any older than he'd been when Jenna was born. 

You turned now to observe the people around you - Taehyung, who had now attracted a gaggle of women all wanting his autograph; a grinning Mrs. Kim, who had insisted on coming to this graduation too; Ari and Jenna, still trying to surreptitiously pick bits of grass out of each others' hair with wry smiles; Nari, chatting excitedly to her friends about their new apartment -

And Namjoon. Your best friend, and partner for life.

A reassuring thought came to you, as he leaned down, placing a gentle kiss on your lips, one of countless you had shared over the decades - that when you had stood here, twenty two years ago, on the day of your own graduation, you would never have predicted ended up here, with these people. 

And so, it must follow, that maybe...

The best things in life really are unplanned.

THE END, FOR REAL THIS TIME

-------------- ★ --------------

author's note:

you have reached the end of 'Unplanned'!

thank you SO much for reading my book, i borahae every single one of you out there, whether you're a silent reader or commenting/voting all the time, i love and appreciate you all!

if you have time and want to check out my other work, please head over to the 'Bangtan Storybook' - lots of long and short oneshots of all varieties for you to sink your teeth into. Or if you want another Joonie story, go check out 'Eternal'!

if you are departing us here, thank you again and i hope you come back soon.

til next time, bagel buns! 💜