14♠️

✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧

Chapter 14

✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧

The four children run, paying no attention to me, towards the majestic tree standing before us. Its trunk is immense, and its branches reveal dozens of flowers. In the center, a flower with luminous petals illuminates the entire trunk. The roots, illuminated in the same color, seem to sway to the rhythm of the wind.

"Alice?" a voice calls from behind me, and I turn abruptly, realizing at the same time that I am dressed in a midnight blue gown adorned with astral embroidery.

It's a dream.

He stands a few meters away from me, the memory of his hand brushing away the tear on my cheek vividly coming back to me. He is dressed in attire similar to mine. A black shirt covered by a vest of the same color and a jacket with embroidery similar to mine. His black hair has its usual bluish tints, but there's something different. In his gaze, I sense a certain familiarity. The feeling of knowing him.

"Who are you?" I stand tall in front of him. "You still haven't guessed," he murmurs in response, approaching me. I can't move, watching him slowly circle around me. I can only turn with him, giving the illusion of a dance. Behind us, the four children have gathered the flower in their small hands.

"What are they doing?" I ask, changing the subject without thinking.

"It's incredible," he moves closer to me, and I take a step back, mirroring his movement. The forest around us reflects its blue hues on his face. On his eyes.

"You don't know what you're capable of, love." He raises his hand towards me, but I push it away. "You're a prince. How can you let these people die in such cruel games?"

A crystalline laughter escapes his mouth, and he runs his hand through his hair. "I care nothing for games, Alice. I have other priorities." As he says this, he looks straight into my eyes, his eyes burning with the same intensity as during our last encounter. He doesn't look older than me, and yet, his presence makes him seem ancient. Powerful. He comes closer, and I keep retreating endlessly, backward.

"You and I, we would be invincible." I shudder at this declaration and continue to step back, my back hitting against a tree trunk. I'm taken aback by the surprise, and he takes advantage of it to come closer, a predatory smile on his lips. "You can't imagine what you could be capable of." He traces his hand along my jaw, and I'm too shocked to speak. Because I finally notice it. On his hand, the exact same scar extends, the same one as mine, as Isabella's. He follows my gaze to it, and when I lift my eyes to meet his, he slightly steps back.

"One question, and if you find the answer, I will answer yours." I nod, and he continues.

"You are as majestic as the daylight, your magical dust dazzles more than one man. Lost, always sought after, the stars mourn your loss."

I barely dare to breathe as he murmurs his words, and without thinking, I place my hand on his chest when he adds, "Who are you?"

"The moon," I whisper, convinced of my answer. His lips form a half-smile, and I press my hand against his chest, feeling no heartbeat. "He changed his heart from flesh to stone."

I widen my eyes, finally understanding that the prince with a heart of stone, the prince who can travel in the world of dreams, is standing right in front of me. "Your poor heart." These three words make his smile vanish instantly. He takes my hand in his, away from his stone heart, and leans closer to whisper in my ear.

"Now, leave my dream, love." He slips something into my palm, but I wake up before understanding what it is.

I abruptly open my eyes to the daylight, clutching the prince's card to my chest.

Or rather, The King's.

✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧