03♠️

✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧

Chapter 3

✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧✧★✧

"You were planning to tell me about it eventually?" I burst into our room, while my sister raises an inquisitive eyebrow at me. "I thought we didn't keep any secrets from each other?" A hint of worry crosses her gaze, and she clumsily sits up on her bed, placing her book on the nightstand. "Henri?" Her gaze suddenly becomes mischievous, and she sighs. "Yes, poor thing imagined a romance that should never have existed." Yes, poor thing...

"Are the rumors true?" I question her, sitting down beside her. "Did you refuse his proposal?"

She smiles at me and twirls a strand of my hair with her slender fingers. "Son of a baker, educated and pious..." She sighs. "He's a good match, rather attractive." She lists, lost in her thoughts. She suddenly turns towards me and whispers softly, "I'm taking a risky bet, don't you think?"

Adrenaline rushes through my entire body, and I rush towards the slightly ajar door of our room. "Isabella!" If anyone hears us talking like this, I can't even imagine the consequences. I don't believe in the supposed unlucky nature of such terms, but my parents do, as does the entire village.

My sister, despite sharing similar beliefs, takes great pleasure in occasionally mentioning them between us. She sighs in frustration and stands up as well. "No one can hear us; you should know how to take risks too." Her tone is mischievous, but her gaze pierces me with seriousness. "You constantly talk about leaving this village, but to take action, you need to know how to take risks." I shudder slightly at her words and lower my gaze. She's right, I need to take risks, have the courage to overcome my fear of the unknown. Like she does. But I can't admit that to her, so I simply reply, "Poor Henri, he could never have handled your personality anyway."

The night was short, and I woke up at dawn from a dreamless sleep. At least, without remembering any. Venturing beyond the limits of the garden, overlooking the field of ruins, I catch a glimpse of its fur in the distance.

The village is full of cats, but my favorite is always there when I need him. He has no name and belongs to no one, although I like to think that our relationship is unique. I take out the leftover fish from the previous day and place it on the stone next to him, making him purr with delight. His golden eyes devour the meal before pouncing on it. I run my fingers through his sleek fur, which the first rays of sunlight darken from black to a deep auburn.

"I saw him again last night, the stranger," he raises his head towards me, as if he could understand what I'm telling him, before continuing to eat. "He keeps claiming that my dreams are the most interesting to visit, yet he tells me nothing about himself. After all, he is just a creation of my mind. Probably a face I encountered at the harbor that my memory held onto." I think out loud, confiding in my companion. "What do you think, cat?" I ask him, rubbing between his ears. He sits up and licks his lips before lying down on my lap.

"You must know how to take risks." My sister's voice is ingrained in my thoughts. I dream of my future, our future. Setting sail on a ship, exploring the world, and opening our own dress shop in a wonderful country. I am aware that this dream is only mine, but my sister once told me that when I finally have the courage to pursue my dreams, she will follow me anywhere. To the ends of the earth.

My gaze drifts to the horizon, towards the forbidden forest. The fences are tall, and the gate leading to it is sealed with various locks. I wonder what lies within that forest, and more importantly, beyond it. An entire unexplored world, hindered by those cursed legends. Only adult members of the fraternity are allowed, in case of extreme emergency, to cross the tall fences surrounding the woods, and according to rumors, the locks have never been opened.

A mist covers the grass of the meadow, the edge of the forest, giving a mystical and almost magical air to the landscape. I smile at my reflection when suddenly something catches my attention over there, beyond the fences.

Or rather, someone.

There is a figure, between two trees. It seems to be staring directly at me, unmoving. I blink several times and sit up abruptly. The man makes no movement in my direction. I can tell from his build that he is not older than me, with curly brown hair and breathtaking green eyes. A sense of unease washes over me.

He is in the forest. He's staring at me, from the forest.

I struggle to breathe, fear constricting my chest, before I sprint inside the house, Safe.

"I hope you're in a playful mood because it seems the game is about to begin," The voice echoes in my head until I slam the door shut behind me.