02-Academy

"Val, pull yourself together, this is what you've been training for," she sounded serious. She release a heavy sigh and continue. "Believe me I'm scared too but we need to survive you know," Vinnie explained it in the most serious tone I ever heard from her.

After Vinnie convinced me, we decided we should go to the academy to gear up. Since its the only place we know that kept various of weapons. Still, I'm not up to killing someone.

Vinnie also suggested we should avoid using the main road as it full of Zombies. Though I think they're everywhere. Literally. We had to walked in silence. It's easy for me though, from the experience of sneaking out in the kitchen at 2AM while everyone was asleep.

I took out my phone, there were tons of missed called from my mother and friends. I pressed open the text messages app, most of it from my friends groupchat. I, instead, read my mother's texts.

Mother: No matter what happens, promise me you'd stay alive, okay. I love you.

That's was all she said. I'm confused. Why didn't she ask where am I so that she could at least picked me up?

"Wait, I think there's a Gaunt out front," Vinnie suddenly spoke. I was surprised and stepped on an empty can.

Vinnie send me a death look. I mouthed sorry and quickly stand behind her. She pulled out her gun, ready to shoot. I grab the empty can, in case anything happen I could throw it. We saw two shadows approaching us as we stand against a wall.

Then we heard conversations. I looked at Vinnie confused.

"Do Gaunts tal-,"

"Vinnie? Val? Ohh you're alive!"

We were hugged by two of our friends, they're a couple by the way. They looked miserable. Like they both just won a war against the Zombies. Both of them were covered in blood.

"What happened?" I asked Jay. His blond hair were soaked with red crimson blood.

Jay sat on a car's bonnet behind him. "Well, we went shopping a bit before going to the academy, then suddenly people were screaming and running, and said about we need to evacuate faster,"

"But we both thought it was a prank at first and went to buy some waffles because Jay said he's hungry. Then a group of cannibals started chasing us," Sandra continued the story with chuckles.

I frowned at Sandra. How could she be laughing in this situation? Gosh she's so annoying. Vinnie hit me in the elbow and rolled her eyes. Yeah, we don't like Sandra that much.

"And we thought they were chasing us because of the waffles turns out-"

"They wants us instead!" they both said in unison and laughed hysterically.

***

After all that chaotic meeting with Jay and Sandra, we all went straight to the academy.

Strange, I look at Sandra, she looked different, acted different, and why she's nice towards us.

Sandra was supposed to be the rude girl in our circle. In fact, she's not even our friend to begin with. We just talked to her because she was dating Jay. Vinnie and I never ever liked Sandra attitude, she looked down on us and tell Jay that he shouldn't be friends with us but Jay was a good person and loyal to his friends, of course, he ignored her about that.

Jay, Vinnie and I were friends since kindergarten. We always hangout together. We go to school together, we chose the same highschool, we even had the same water bottle that had 'friends' written on it.