1 | Last To Wake

Alarms blared throughout the underground lab. The space filled with computers and wires was illuminated by bright red lights that highlighted the final sealed cryogenic hibernation capsule, inside of which a disoriented woman lay.

Outside of the lab was a living space for the others who had left the capsules long ago. Now they rose from their sleeping pods at the sound of the alarm. And through the little window embedded in the door, they tried to see what was happening.

Nothing like this had happened before - all of them had woken up in groups, except for one that they had thought would be forever sealed, and had given up on the woman ever waking up.

Most were scared and confused, but the ones who had been around the longest could guess what the alarm meant and were waiting to meet the final Aurora. While some scoffed and jeered at a possible weak recruit, others were excited to meet someone new. It was a mixed reaction. It was only a matter of waiting and observing to determine if the woman would be a help or a hindrance to the team.

Countless eyes followed the Keepers as they raced towards where the cryogenic room was located. Hope painted their faces, as they rushed to see if she had awoken fully and completely intact from her frozen sleep.

The chamber opened to reveal a woman of petite stature and her eyes were staring blankly at the ceiling. The Keepers weren't sure if she was truly awake, but they felt assured when they saw the rise and fall of her chest. And her fingers and toes wiggled as life returned to them.

In the woman's mind, confusion raged inside and left her with a pounding headache. Waves of nausea attacked her stomach, and she struggled to understand what was happening. She couldn't even remember ever going to sleep, so how had she woken up in a place like this?

Voices cut through her broken thoughts, and that was when she realised she wasn't alone.

After seeing her slight movements, it was confirmed that she had indeed awoken, and several of the Keepers pulled her out of the chamber. Her feet hit the ground, and she winced at the pain.

One Keeper caught a robe that had been thrown at them, and she helped the befuddled woman to get dressed. At least she seemed nicer than the others, and Oriana felt reassured at seeing the other woman's warm smile.

Oriana swivelled her head every which way, trying to decipher where she was, but all she could gather was that she was in some lab.

She was still wondering how she had gotten from her bedroom to this place. What had happened for her to end up in some underground lab?

The woman's hand was now placed on her back, and she tried to keep Oriana away from the prying hands of the other Keepers.

Unfortunately, she had to step away from Oriana, when she was made to sit in a chair, various medical equipment surrounding her.

With energy so depleted she could barely lift her head, Oriana didn't struggle against the many needles that were being stuck into her still-cold body. And thankfully, it wasn't as painful as she thought it would be. At the present moment, her fear of needles was long forgotten.

They then placed wires on her head, and she heard beeping coming from a monitor off to the side. Presumably, they were measuring her vitals, and to see if there were any side-effects from being frozen in time.

After they had run a few more tests, she found the courage to open her mouth and ask what was going on. Answers were what she needed for now. However, as soon as she tried to say something, the words got caught in her throat.

Under the bright lights of the lab, her eyes widened, and she began to struggle against the many wires still attached to her. Many of the scientists rushed up to hold her down and stop her pointless attempts of getting free from the wires.

All she wanted to do was bring her hands up to her throat so she could feel the damage for herself.

Soon her struggles died down, as she gave up trying to raise her arms, and she fell back against the chair. Exhaustion overcame her, and her eyes closed once again.

As she slipped back into sleep, she wished that when she woke up again; it had all been a dream.