VIII

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷  Raven ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

All day, there was a stirring feeling in my chest. Like there was something for me to be excited about and my wolf kept clawing through our connection as if trying to tell me something was here.

It was actually getting pretty annoying, so I tried my best to quickly find out the source of my wolf's unrest but to no avail, I remained clueless as to what was causing my wolf to go coo coo for coco puffs.

"This is so weird..." I grumbled and Lyra, who'd been tailing me like a lost puppy, tried to match her pace to mine in order to make eye contact with me.

"What's the matter?" She asked, hands swaying from side to side as we walked.

"It feels like my wolf is trying to tell me something" I said, putting a hand to my chest as I spoke.

The ever quizzical Lyra gave me a confused look in response to my actions, giving me the impression that she likely has yet to have her first shift.

Our wolves are dormant until our first shifts, that's when we finally come into our own and become recognized members of our respective packs. Until then, you're quite literally treated like a fragile child amongst the community.

Becoming one with your wolf is not an easy process as you have to battle against your innate instincts for quite some time but once that process is over, it's smooth sailing from there on out and being able to sense your wolf's emotions become easy.

"Are you sure that's not just all the food you had earlier?" She asked and I sucked my teeth at her reasoning.

"No" I replied.

"So let's put our heads together and figure it out" Lyra said.

This girl...

"You're a kid, I'm not gonna bother you with problems that have nothing to do with you" I said and Lyra shook her head.

"Nope, I'm officially your only friend here as you are mine and friends help one another!" She cheered but I was less than reciprocal to her enthusiastic words.

Taking a breather, a faint scent caught my attention and I looked in the direction it was coming from. It smelled like...uh, medicine? Like, there was no real descriptive scent but it just reminded me of some kind of medicinal cream and yet that isn't what bothered me about it.

For some horribly odd reason, the scent was appealing to me. It seems that the longer we stay here, the more weird shit continues to happens to us.

"Has there been anyone new here recently?" I asked and Lyra took a moment to think.

"Uh...as far as I'm aware, our head pack doctor as well as a few guards has returned from some kind of trip. They were gone for a bit to help another pack out" Lyra explained.

"I see..." I trailed off.

The sudden sound of my brother's voice in my head had me stopping for a moment to listen.

'I'm on my way to you right now, we're heading to the cabin today' Mika said and just like that, the connection was gone.