chapter nine

Instinctively, Jack stepped in front of Rose, as though his own body was a human shield at whatever Cal would throw at them. The deep, darkness in his eyes mirrored the hatred within his own sapphire ones. His own heart still pumped from the kiss which he and Rose had shared; he knew that their feelings mirrored the other. Whatever happened from that moment onwards, they would be in it together.

‘’You were unfaithful, after all.’’

Cal’s tone seemed calm. Cool. Casual. Inside, there was no doubt he was wrecked. In the dim light of the decks, Jack saw the reflective glint of the pistol in Cal’s right hand; a trembling hand. There was not a whisper of fear about him; facing him was nothing more than a coward. The truth was, he had made a promise to Rose just hours before; he would die before he allowed her back into that cage which she had been kept in for far too long.

‘’We are no longer engaged. I am free to be with who I choose.’’ Rose fired back to him; her voice full of certain steel. One which neither man had heard before from her. Jack, then, was certain of Rose’s path. The fire burned brightly before him and that would never diminish.

‘’And you choose him. Over me. Over our life together.’’

‘'Yes. I do.’’ She was certain.

‘’Are you under some seductive spell from the man who promises you such a wonderful life?’’

‘’No, she is just a woman who is able to choose her own life now.’’ Jack stepped in, his entire body before Rose so that she was unable to shift past him.

‘’And, I suppose you are the chap able to do that for her? We both know that you have nothing. That you are nothing.’’

‘’No, I don’t suppose I am.’’ Jack smiled. ‘’Why don’t you just go? Let her live her life.’’ He would reason with the man firstly, if that was possible. A man would not like the battered and bruised ego of losing his woman to another man; a man of a lower station than he, but at least this way, he could go down without any public knowledge and he could concoct whatever lie he wished to protect his own name and then go on to live his own life. Jack knew that way wouldn’t be, but it was worth a try to distract him with words whilst he thought of his own plan.

‘’Because she is mine. She is to marry me. Whatever this little flame is will be put out.’’ Cal’s wide legged stance, tall and broad backed was meant to be threatening, but it was his sway which gave away his intoxication.

Apparently, there was no reasoning with Cal. In the moment, Jack knew that he would be fighting for her; for her freedom. For their freedom. For their life.

‘’Stop it! Stop speaking to me as though I am not present.’’ Rose stepped out from Jack’s shadow, determination fuelling her entire body. Why would she always have to be protected or bullied into something which her heart wasn’t into.

‘’Sometimes we have to, because you are so damned stubborn and naïve to speak for yourself.’’ Cal’s body seemed to be wracked with something other than anger. Perhaps it was the adrenaline.

‘’Yes, you do think that don’t you?’’

‘’What do you think would happen. Jack Dawson wants nothing more than to take what is his, make you his whore and then leave you alone or worse—pregnant.’’

Jack’s scalp prickled at the utter vile description but he wasn’t to defend himself; hoping Rose would see the lies in Cal and her trust in him was thorough.

‘’Well, it is better to be his whore to be your wife!’’

With watery eyes, she clutched Jack’s hand to hers.