Chapter 21 Twins

Muse Paisley

The royal twins jerked their heads and pointed at their attackers, and their sparkling yellow dragon eyes caught my attention. I wasn't positive if they were contacts. "Deb-Dagger, you shouldn't have come. Our mother is going to go after you."

It was a tad creepy when the twins spoke like that.

Glad no one could be assigned to them because who wants to read their creepy thoughts? I wish I could be Deb's Muse, but no one knew who she was, and I doubt she had a strong imagination.

The holographic Deb AI rushed at the twins.  "Your mother is ruining my business. I'll send you to my corporate orphanage."

Mason lifted his weapon and fired at Deb. "Did she say her anger with Kay is business related? Is she short stocking the electric company? Dina has been turning it around." He fired his weapon again.

Holbrook fired directly through Deb. Her laser fire went through the fake siren, and the hologram glitched.

Deb-Dagger laughed. "See, I'm not physically here, and they are controlled because they think I'm more powerful than their free will. Too bad I failed to capture Kay's children, but I'll devastate her business like I did Rob."

"I know." Holbrook shot the floating projector. She bagged the device, copied it, and played it back.

"I'm Deb-Dagger, and I control worlds."

"We'll see what information we can find on the programming used, but on close inspection, it's not a real voice," Holbrook said.

The twins' guards struggled to move. "Deb-Dagger is life. We betrayed our ruler by not stopping Kay." After they regained movement, their bodies grew limp in protest.

Four hidden agents and Frank carried them out.

"I didn't notice you there," Mason said.

"Bet you're glad, I did my job well?" Frank winked and took the bag containing the projector before leaving. "I'll send copies to everyone."

Mason and Holbrook guided the teens into their family spaceship, with new guards and the young king. He resembled his younger siblings. The nineteen-year-old king of entire planets trembled. His wool beehive-style hair looked ridiculous.

Kay stood beside him, the crown of the Queen Mother on her head. She dragged a large power sword with her prosthetic hand, or at least I thought it was her prosthetic. Fire shot out of the end towards a man raising a weapon at her teens.

He collapsed, and guards dragged him off.

Kay sat briefly on a park chair, and people stared at her and her smoldering sword.

A few guests clapped as if it had been an act by a park impersonator, but she was real.

A vulture flew to her and whispered something. He flew towards Mason. "It's me, Birdie. I have to get back before Rob realizes I am gone." Birdie transformed into a hawk with blue feathers and then into a golden bird. "I think I was wrong about Kay, but I'm more confused than ever. Don't tell anyone I left."

"You can trust me." Mason patted his brother's head before his brother rested on the young king's shoulder.

A golden feather fell to the ground.

"I'm the real queen," Kay said.

Creepy bravery washed away from the royal teens' faces, and they burst into tears. It's easy to forget that they were only fourteen and not monsters.

"Son, take care of them," Kay said.

"Yes, Mother." The new king hugged her.

If not for Mason and Holbrook, the twins could have died or been sent to a corporate orphanage, and that was the first step.