Chapter 19 Stop Fighting, I'm Trying Not to be Shot

Muse Silver-Green

Paisley banged on the door. "Let me in! You're breaking the rules. Why was everyone in the building sent home? There is no fly infestation."

"You'll be allowed back in soon, but only Apollo and the fire department have the key," I said.

"Green, you're incompetent, and you let your emotions take over."

"But I was correct. Mason might save our planet by bringing the cult leaders down, despite not being chosen to do so."

"Stop fighting! I'm trying not to be shot." A bandit fired at Mason, but he dove and fired back.

"And you should have, but is it wise to allow a non-chosen one to save our world?" Muse Paisley asked.

Mason ducked again. 'Shut up,' he thought.

"They wanted the opposite of me, but as I look at Zander's notes, his Muses follow the rules less than either of us," I said curtly.

"Fine." Muse Paisley left, or at least shut up.

I focused on Mason. "Behind you!"

Mason fired, and the man fled.

The other bandit approached Holbrook and pretended to be the hero. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." She stiffened and covered her uninjured ear with her hand.

The overly muscular man with flowing hair grasped Holbrook's arm tightly and swung her like a doll. "You're cute and solid, not like ninety-five-pound weaklings. Go to the bar with me and buy me a drink, a new suit, and a steak. My partner fled."

"Keep your hands off of me." She yanked herself away.

"Sassy goblin, you've insulted me." He attempted to fire at her again.

"I don't owe you." Her eyes narrowed, and her fingers slid to her weapon.

Mason rushed to her. "Where did you go off to? Is this guy your ex?"

"Baby, I've never met him before. I told you that my ex was Zander." Her smile collapsed.

"Looks like you and girlie are fighting, and I'll take her out," the man said.

"You're not touching me." Holbrook stepped away from the man.

Mason grimaced and glared at him. "My soon-to-be bride and I are leaving. I recommend tucking your weapon away before you accidentally shoot yourself."

The man shoved his weapon into Holbrook's side.

She slid out her laser gun and shot the man in the arm. "Even I refuse to fight a man of your size, which is why I carry a painful laser gun."

He dropped his weapon. "You hurt me! I'll pound you."

Holbrook shot him again. "Attacking an Agency-14 agent isn't wise."

A security officer ran after them. "I'll drop him off."

Holbrook leaned close to Mason.

His tail wagged. "I gave you an accidental upgrade from a mere girlfriend. Strong women are cute." He smiled, and his ears perked up. "We'll take turns being rescued. Let's save those royal teens."

"Rob will be furious. Good, he's annoying." Holbrook smiled.

"The head of security is waiting for you," the officer said.

Mason and Holbrook left the spaceport with the officer and the prisoner. On the officer's ear, there was an odd marking—not a tattoo, but a scar from being branded.