Chapter 60

Four years later

Four years later...

Simultaneously trying to unpack my suitcase and cook breakfast for Cass isn't going as well as I envisioned. Every time I walk past the stove, popping oil comes flying at me like it has some drama with me to settle. However, my mom said that the only way I'm going to learn how to cook is if I keep at it.

I walked into the house not too long ago after catching an Uber home. I tried calling Cassius when I landed at the airport, but he didn't answer his phone. I'm not too worried about it, though, because my lover just loves strolling through the town and seeing new places, especially since we only recently moved into our cozy little house. But when he forgets to bring his phone everywhere he goes, it can be a bit of a problem sometimes. As a matter of fact, I am looking at it sitting on the counter right now.

I've been out of town for the past two weeks. My first stop was Las Vegas along with Cassius, Jackson, and Lilah, so we could have a little bit of fun in our twenties. My next stop was Los Angeles, which I, unfortunately, had to go to without Cass.

Surprisingly, things have turned out really well for me after college. I finally started focusing on my studies, reaching out to get any internship I could, and I'm finally being rewarded for that work.

I've found my dream job as a sports commentator.

You can imagine how excited my dad is about it.

I mostly delve into skating competitions and whatnot, but I'm not limited to them. One of my favorite memories is when I had to interview a fan-favorite rookie at an NBA game, a.k.a. August Adams. It was hilarious that we kept having to hold back our laughs and pretend that we didn't know each other.

Besides that though, I've only just returned from a long three-day skateboarding and BMX bike competition, so I was just ready to come back home to Cass. We texted and called almost every day, but it's still not the same as having him in my arms at the end of the night as we discuss what kind of day we had.

As for Cassius, he has made a living as an online sales representative. After all he has been through in the public eye, there is nothing he loves more than working from home and talking to new people each day.

I am currently throwing my shorts back into me and Cassius's shared dresser when I hear my phone ring from the kitchen. I dash to the phone, noticing that in the small amount of time that I walked into my bedroom, the breakfast potatoes on the stove turned black.

Wow, this cooking shit is hard.

I instantly grab my phone, answering the Facetime call from my mom as I empty the butchered pan.

"Hey, Mom. What's up?" I smile, propping the phone against the wall so she can see that I'm attempting to cook.

"Hey, honey," she responds, flicking her hair over her shoulder and perching her glasses on her nose. "How are you?"