Chapter 42

I skate slowly once I catch up to Cassius, and judging by the smile on his face, he's known that I was coming for a while

"Hey, nerd," I grin, pushing off with the skateboard when it starts to lose pace with Cass's stride. "I'm dragging you to the grocery store with me."

"Um, why?" he chuckles, slipping his hands into his pockets.

"My mom had a whole meltdown when she realized there was no oregano for her homemade pizza," I say, playfully rolling my eyes. "So I'm on a mission, and I nominate you to be my trusty sidekick."

"Who says I'm the sidekick?" he smirks.

Before I have any snarky comment back, my skateboard wheel gets stuck in a large crack in the ground, launching me forward. Just when I prepare myself to stop, drop, and roll to prevent injury, I am no longer hurtling toward the ground as Cass catches me with gentle arms on my back.

I stare up at him with a dopey smile. "Now this is exactly why I have a boyfriend."

He rolls his eyes and helps me to my feet. "Sunny, I think you should take up a new hobby."

"As if," I scoff, running to fetch my skateboard.

Cassius immediately wrestles it out of my hold.

"I'll keep this for now so you don't die on the way to the grocery store."

I gasp, "So chivalrous."

"Shut up and let's get to the store," he laughs, slipping his hand into mine.

"Aye, aye, Captain."

I kiss his cheek, causing a pretty smile to melt onto his face as we walk a couple of minutes to the nearest store.

Once we get there, the place isn't too crowded with shoppers. The occasional person is searching down the aisles, but for the most part, it's pretty calm.

After Cassius and I spend almost ten minutes looking at the wall of spices, he finally spots the item in question. We pick it up, prepared to check out and head home, but a girl is suddenly standing behind us.

"Um, hello," I say, knowing that Cass isn't going to be the one to say anything.

"Hi," she says with a genuine smile.

The girl has soft tanned skin and strawberry-colored hair. She looks about our age, but I don't think I've seen her around at school before.

"Can I help you?" I ask.

"Oh, I don't mean to bother you." Her eyes glance at Cassius, whose face is completely stoic. "I just couldn't help but notice how handsome you are."

Jesus Christ, this girl is going to get her face bitten off by my vampire boyfriend.

"Oh, thanks," I chuckle awkwardly. I look at Cassius and it looks like he wants to kill me for even saying anything back to her.

I thought my boyfriend being jealous would be cute, but it kind of just looks like he is ready to explode and wipe out the entire town.