Chapter 9 - Rotxo

Start from the beginning

He took in a breath of air before letting it out. “I have known Ao’nung for as long as I can remember.” He started.

“I have been friends with him since the day I could talk. And I have found over the years that he has a power.” He looked towards me, his eyes darted over my face, trying to read what I was thinking.

“The Na’vi in this clan fear him. They would do anything for him, do what he tells them to. All because he is the future Olo’eyktan.” I looked to Rotxo. I could see how much he cared for Ao’nung. They were like brothers.

“I have known for a long time that he believes his power to be a burden. He hates it which is one of the reasons he is so close with his family because they do not do everything his says.”

I went to open my mouth at the boys words. But he spoke too quickly. “Neither do you and it intrigues him because he has never met you and normally people are threatened by his status…you are not.”

Finally, the boy paused, allowing me to ask. “and what about you? do you do everything he says?”

“yes.” He replied strongly and proudly. “But not because he is my future olo’eyktan, but because I know that if I were to ask him to go to the deepest part of the reef to catch a fish for me to eat…her would without question.” he looked to me with a serious face. I could tell he was telling the truth. But I really didn’t understand why he was telling me all of this.

“Because he knows I would do the same for him. He respects every one of the clan no matter the age or gender or personality. He would do anything for his future people, but they do no know that because he doesn’t really show is affection in public.” Rotxo spoke with so much passion that it was hard to find any reason not to believe what he was saying.

“I was sick once and my parents are both hunters, so they were not able to look out for me…he snuck out of his olo’eyktan training with medicine he had stolen from his mother and brought it to me. His sister had to come and assist because he didn’t know how to use it but that’s besides the point.”

“What about your other friends? the ones he hangs out with in the mornings.” I asked, resting on my elbows.

“They are not my friends," he spat "they are his friends, and they are bullies who take advantage of his status.” Rotxo turned away from me and looked to his knees. His poster was not as confident. He really did not like these people.

“They still do what he says but not because they fear what he could do, but what it would be like without Ao’nung there to save them from getting into trouble." Rotxo let out a sigh before continuing.

"Because they are his friends they can get away with just about anything. I see it and Tsireya and their parents see it. I think half the clan sees it."

“But he does not” I added quietly. The boy nodded as he turned his head to me once again.

Silence.

“He likes you” Rotxo whispered, leaning closer to me with a small smile.

“Yeah right. You get called monkey lover and see how liked you feel.” I said with a small smile on my lips.

“Its true.” Rotxo basically yelled out his words as his smile grew. “Every time he finishes talking to you, he comes to me and just lets it all out. ‘seze is so smart’ ‘she is so talented' ‘seze deserves more’ ‘i wish she could see how much I like her’ ‘oh eywa she is beautiful’. He just does not shut up.”

I sat up from where I was laying and sat with my legs crossed much like Rotxo.

“You are probably the first girl that has caught his eye. Properly caught it. This isn’t just some stupid crush he has-.“ The boy shut up immediately when he looked behind me.

“Ao’nung! What are you doing here?” He yelled. I turned my head quickly to see the boy Rotxo had just been gossiping about headed our way. He had water running down his body, causing the sand to stick to his feet.

“Tsireya said breakfast was ready.” He replied, pointing to his siter who was waiting for her brother. Ao’nung was slightly confused at Rotxo’s enthusiasm.

“Its only been 2 days” Rotxo asked, looking up to the boy with a confused look, less dramatic as before.

“I don’t care. Have breakfast with my family” Ao’nung whined like a child, dragging out his words.

“Bro, I promised my parents I’d see them before they go out on the hunt. I’m sure your father would love some family time before he leaves” Rotxo explained pointing his hand towards the clan.

“Your no fun bro... what are you doing with the monkey lover?” Ao’nung turned to me for the first time, finally realising I was there. he sounded almost disgusted that I was there.

“Talking about boring stuff” Rotxo replied, holding out his hand so Ao’nung would help him up.

Without hesitation, Ao'nung grabbed the boy’s hand and pulled him up while he spoke.

“So you're talking about her?”

“No. You” I replied bluntly.

“well that can’t be true...I’m awesome.” Ao’nung replied pointing his hands to his chest with a cocky smirk.

“Skxawng.” Rotxo mumbled as he turned back to Ao’nung. “Come on. I’ll walk with you.” He turned towards me. “Want to walk back with us?”

I shook my head at the boys request, not wanting to intrude on their time together.

“Well, we will see you later monkey lover” Ao’nung yelled out as he turned away, placing a hand on Rotxos back for a mere second so he could lead him away from me.

As the two boys walked off, I watched them talk and laugh at each other. Ao’nung pretending to beat the boy up.

I watched as Ao’nung wrapped his arm around his sisters shoulder once they had reached the girls. She placed her hand on his back and laughed along with the 2 boys.

I wish

What I didn't see was the way Ao'nung whispered to Rotxo, asking him if we were in fact talking about himself, or if I had spoken about myself. Any information about my life so Ao'nung could learn everything about the girl he liked