Spaced Out

Xiao's POV:
(after school in the previous chapter)

Hu Tao and I walked to my car and got it, she's a sophomore but has yet to take her driver's test, so I usually drive both of us to and from school.
We both got in the car and sat down, then I put the car in drive and started heading home.
"So who is he to you?"
I sighed, is a silent car ride home so much to ask for?
"He's just a classmate to me, not even a friend"
"Do you wanna be friends?... Do you wanna be more!?"
She looked like an excited puppy waiting to go on a walk.
"What? Slow down I'm not even gay, and I'm not interested in making friends either"
"You don't know that! You've never dated anyone before! You haven't even had your first kiss yet!!"
"Hu Tao.."
"Come on! Just try, open up to people and try to find someone, it'll be fun. Please even if it's just a friend, I'm sure our dads would be relieved"
For once my annoying little sister sounded like she actually cared about me, I doubt that though because she chased me with a knife when we were kids, but that's besides the point.
"I'll try.. but no promises"
I saw her face light up with excitement as we pulled into the garage.
"REALLY?? YAYYY!!!!"
"Why are you so happy- ugh nevermind I don't care"
I turned off the car and we went inside the house.
"Dads! We're home!!"
Dad emerged from the dark hallway that led to his bedroom
"Hey sweetheart, how was school?"
"Good, guess what! Xiao's gonna try and make a friend.. or find a lover"
She smirked as she watched my face turn red
"Oh is that so? Well I wish you the best Xiao, I'm sure you'll find the right man"
"WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME IM GAY!?"
"Hu Tao told me you were.."
"Hehe uhh did I?? Oops uh gotta go, tons of homework!"
She rushed to her room and burst out giggling the second she closed her door, when will she learn how thin these walls are?
"I just wanna try opening up to people or atleast someone.. if I end up more than friends with them then that's a different story"
"I see, I'm proud of you son, oh and Childe is at work so he'll be home later"
I nodded and went to my room.
--------------------------------------

Aether POV:

My alarm rang and I shut it off, rubbed my eyes, and got ready for my day like any other morning, but this morning was different.
I left my room to go wait for Lumine but was surprised by uncle Dain wrapping me in his arms and embracing me
"I love you kiddo, you're perfect just the way you are"
Before I could hold them back the tears came rushing to my eyes yet again, but this time I let them out I sobbed and sobbed while he held me in his arms, Lumine told him but I'm almost grateful.. for some reason I feel so warm inside, so loved... I've wanted this feeling for so long, but I've always had it..
"Shh, wipe your eyes Aether you two have school to attend now"
I turned around to see Lumine standing behind me with both of our bags
"Let's go"
I grabbed my bag and we walked to school, my eyes were tired and red from crying but by the time we got to school the redness was gone.

-in class-

I sat in my seat watching patiently as everyone filled into the room, just like any other morning. I guess I take into account of when people show up and where they go, but I never really intended to, but anyway everyone sat down and Ms. Jean walked in, and this time Xiao didn't afterwards, I'm not sure why I noticed this, I've never really cared for the absence of other people before but this one felt different.
The thought of Xiao reminded me of my dream I had last night and I covered my face, I'm sure Ms. Jean was telling us about something but I was too lost in thoughts to listen.
Then suddenly I heard something light hit the floor behind me.
I turned around and saw Xiao pick up a black and grey pen off the floor and place it back on his desk, meanwhile I stayed staring in shock, this whole time he had been right behind me and I didn't notice.
His hair looked just as soft as it did in my mind last night and his lips..
My gaze moved down to his mouth, then the realization hit me, he was staring right back at me with a confused expression.
Shit!!!! I must look so stupid!
My face went red and I turned back around.. why do I feel this way? Maybe I just really wanna be friends with him, I doubt friends imagine themselves kissing each other though, at least I don't do that with Venti..
Agh I need to focus!
"Alright now that you all know your assigned partners for this project you should start thinking of a way to study together, you will both need to present a short essay on what you've learned."
WHAT!? WE HAVE A PROJECT?? WHO'S MY PARTNER? FUCKK I WASNT LISTENING!
"psst Venti"
"hm?"
"I wasn't listening.. who's my partner and whats the project on?"
Venti gave me a look that screamed 'are you stupid?' then pointed at the board which had allllll the information I was looking for
"I knew that"
Venti laughed and then the bell rang and everyone rushed to grab their bags and leave, except for the few that stayed behind to read the board, I was one of those few.
I grabbed my pen and rolled my sleeve up a little bit so I could write
'Liyue History; Due next week; Xiao'
It's almost as if fate is trying it's best to get us to know eachother.

(Woopsies I kept forgetting to write, sorryyy 🥺🫶

later edit: idek what I wrote in this, I swear it's my inner alpha writing 😗)

^im joking.