Chapter Two

"No spittin', no hissin', no bitin', no fightin', no— Avery, you even listening?"

Avery didn't look up, she kept sharpening her knife with the dusty rock she found under the wagon.

"Avery!" Evelyn yelled as she took the knife from her, "That takes me to my next rule; no playing with knives!"

Avery rolled her eyes and fell back onto the grass, "When you told me we were going to your aunt's, I didn't think you meant the next day." Evelyn scoffed, "What else would I mean?"

Avery's been huffing and puffing all day— she wished she never agreed to being Evelyn's snobby aunt's maid. The thought of having a roof over her head revolted her, and the thought she'd be cleaning and doing the family's house work revolted her even more. She mocked Evelyn, mouthing her annoying words and then lifted herself up with a sigh.

Avery and Evelyn stupidly left their horses outside the bank yesterday. Avery hated the fact she didn't know where her horse was right now. The Wivovin Stables probably have taken him in— that irked her even more.

Avery strolled over to the wagon, where Evelyn was collecting her belongings and shoved them into her purple reticule that was embroidered with pink flowers. Avery leaned her back against the wagon and glanced at Evelyn, her mouth a slight pout. Evelyn felt Avery's dark eyes on her, she didn't look back. Instead, she simply sighed and got on with her packing. "Have you packed yet, Avery?"

Avery scoffed, "Pfft, no. I have ain't got stuff to pack." Evelyn rolled her eyes, "Stop acting like a child. That's what you are; a big, overgrown child." Avery shook her head and turned her focus to the dew-dabbled grass, "I ain't got a bag..." Evelyn abruptly turned, facing Avery, "You do! It's stuffed in the wagon with all your other stuff!" She lectured. Evelyn wasn't like a friend to Avery— she was more like a mother who liked to keep her in check.

Avery groaned and looked at the bright, blue morning sky. It was scorching; no clouds in sight. She felt her eyes closed as the heat sunk into her skin. "What time we leaving for the stagecoach?" Evelyn replied fast, "Noon." Avery's eyebrows raised, "Noon? We best be leaving soon then." Evelyn simply nodded and reached into the wagon and grabbed something. She pulled out a worn satchel and presented it to Avery who seemed to recognise it.

"I knew you were not gonna pack so I done it for you. I found this satchel in the wagon— I reckon it's yours?"

Avery examined the satchel and then snatched it from Evelyn's hands. Evelyn tilted her head when she saw Avery's fascination. Avery knew it. The brown tint, the worn leather, the dirty muck stains— "It's my daddy's."

Avery looked up at Evelyn, her face had a grin of disbelief on it. "I thought I had lost it!" She chuckled as she opened it and looked at the contents. Evelyn let out a small smirk, "A lot of your lost stuff is probably in that wagon."

Avery let out another small chuckle and looked back up at Evelyn; "Thank you." She let out a genuine smile as she gave Evelyn a warm look. Evelyn raised her eyebrows and smiled back, "Thank you? Wow— maybe you do have some manners." She laughed, "Inside should have everything you need." Evelyn was right, it did have everything Avery would need. All of Avery's savings bundled together with a rubber band, a plaid shirt and denim pants, shotgun shells and revolver cartilages for her trusty guns and of course, her father's rusty gold locket with a photograph of him and my mother inside.

The fact she actually packed this tugged on Avery's heart strings; did she really know how much she holds her father's belongings dear to her heart? She gave Evelyn a small reassuring glance. She uttered the same words as before; "Thank you."

Evelyn smiled, "I know you can't go anywhere without it."

Avery shrugged off the cheesy moment and snapped back to her usual brute self, "What time is it?" She asked Evelyn sternly. Evelyn pulled her sliver pocket watch out of the small pocket of her maroon skirt, she squinted as she looked at the clock. "About time for us to get going, come on."

...

The day's weather reached its peak at noon while Avery and Evelyn waited by the stagecoach station. The stagecoach was there— just not the coachman. Avery crossed her arms and tapped her boot foot on the ground, pouting. Evelyn sighed, "Don't be so impatient." Avery rolled her eyes, "Where the hell is the reinsman? If we had our horses we'd be—"

Avery stopped talking when she saw the coachman running to the stagecoach. When he saw them, he raised his arm waved vigorously.

The coachman was a short man  and was balding at the top of his head. "Miss Evelyn!" The coachman shouted as he ran towards the stagecoach. Evelyn smiled and gave him a small wave, lifting her arm slightly, "Mr Snipp."

Mr Snipp halted before them two, he laughed as he huffed and puffed. "I'm sorry for being late, ladies. I had to take go pick up a few things at the stables then the stable master wouldn't shut up about these two fine horses that he got to take in. Apparently they were left by the two folk trying to rob the bank yesterday." He panted.

Avery felt her eyes twitch— that was her horse! She placed her hands on her gun belt and stared down at the man. "That ain't very professional of chu'." Avery narrowed her eyes at him. Mr Snipp squirmed, she knew she threatened him. She let out a discreet smirk, satisfied with herself. Evelyn groaned, "Mr Snipp, don't mind her. She's in a bad mood today."

Mr Snipp nodded and quickly squirmed over to the stagecoach door, opening it and signalling for them to come in, "Alright, let's get this show on the road."

Evelyn gave him an angelic smile as she climbed in, Avery on the other hand did the opposite. She glared into Mr Snipp's soul and furrowed her brows. She looked like she just walked out of hell. Mr Snipp's eyes widened as his eyes cowardly followed her as she climbed into the stagecoach. He gulped then made his way to the bench at the front of the stagecoach.

As Avery settled into her seat, she noticed Evelyn disapproving gaze."What?" Avery scoffed and shot Evelyn a disdainful look. Evelyn complained, "You don't need to act like a brute all the time. Mr Snipp is a nice man—"

Avery laughed, "I made him shit himself."

"That's not funny." Evelyn lectured, her pasty, sharp blue eyes piercing into Avery again like they did the day before.

Avery threw her arms up in the air defensively, Evelyn's eyes were like ice cold blades. "Hey, it was funny."

"No, it wasn't Avery. It really wasn't." Evelyn sighed as she turned her gaze to the window.