"Georges is ready, Madame", said Noelle, placing my son in Diane's arms since mine were full, he wore a lace dress and bonnet. "Will Marie-Therese be there?", Anastasie asked, holding her doll by the hand. "Most likely; his majesty should not be distracted, he always has a lot to do." We walked down the stairs, and out the Hotel de Noailles, stepping into the coach.

--

"This is my friend, and a lover of my husband's, Diane de Simiane." I introduced Antoinette to Diane, who curtsied before the queen. "Oh, no need, this is not like the Palace of Versailles", Antoinette insisted, "Welcome to The Petit Trianon." Diane smiled shyly, "my friends are in the salon, I am sure they will adore meeting you."

"Thank you, Your Majesty"

"Oh, we call her Antoinette in private", I grinned, putting Anastasie down. "Therese!", she ran over to her friend, sitting by the main staircase to play dolls with her. Following Antoinette to the salon, Diane gave me my son, who I cradled tenderly. 

"This is Diane de Simiane, a friend of Adrienne's, and now a friend of mine", Antoinette told the Princesse de Lamballe, Yolande; Duchesse de Polignac, and Saint-Georges, introducing the three. Diane shyly waved, and Lamballe smiled. "Sit down", she insisted, and Diane complied. "We are happy you could come", Yolande added. 

"I am glad Georges is in good health", Saint-Georges told me, and Georges looked at him when he heard his name, tilting his head to the side a bit. I chuckled, "I am glad, too. I hope my husband will come back soon, so he can watch him grow up." I took a macaron from the coffee table. "I feel your pain, Adrienne. I can hardly see my husband anymore in my escape from the palace", said Antoinette. I smiled, knowing where she was coming from. "Indeed. I hope we can just settle down when this war is over." Diane quietly played with Georges while I looked down at him.

"When is Anastasie's birthday, again, Adrienne? Soon, if I remember correctly?", Lamballe asked, looking over at the two friends, who were playing hide and seek throughout the house. "Yes, it is on July 1st. She will be three." I smiled warmly at the two friends. "Play gentle", Yolande reminded them, while Therese crawled under the table, waiting for Anastasie, who was still counting against the wall. 

"Oh, we must throw a celebration!", Antoinette told me. "At the Petit Trianon, of course. The Palace would be too overwhelming, and it would be cruel to throw it at my personal prison, anyway."

I smiled at her, "You're too kind, Antoinette", my voice laden with appreciation, as Anastasie rushed over to Therese, finding her immediately, and their innocent laughter filled the room once again.

-- 

July 1st, 1780

I hummed, brushing Anastasie's hair, "Would you like me to put it up?", I asked her, while she sat on my lap, playing with her wooden horse. "No", she grumbled, and I ran a hand through it, gently kissing her soft head. "Happy Birthday, my darling", I whispered, and she kicked her feet, her foot almost hitting my knee. "I want papa!", she cried.

"I know, dear", I whispered, turning her so she was facing me, and she had a sad look in her eyes. "Want him back", she sobbed, resting a head on my shoulder. "I know, Anastasie. I know you do."

Cupping both of her cheeks and raising her head, I smiled a little. "But he will come back, do you know why, darling?"

She sniffled, "Why?"

"Because papa is a very smart man, dear. He will come back when the war is over." I smiled, wiping her tears with my thumbs.

"Madame de Lafayette, you have two letters", Jacques informed, and I smiled, taking them both. "Thank you, Jacques."