Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

Granted, I only stomped three nails into the ground to hold the side ropes attached to the middle but it counts.

And soon after my 'labor' had finished and we had a place to sleep, an amazing smell hit my nose—a scent completely different and more savory than what I had grown up accustomed too.

When the bowls were distributed amongst us, I have to admit that I was fighting to hide the fact that I was more than eager to try the amazing-smelling food.

"Looks like Tsu made gumbo," I hear Eijiro point out over my shoulder as we stood in line—the tall knights back to me and shielding my vision from the pot holding the food.

"Gumbo?" I inquire, tilting my head up to see him looking over my shoulder.

Those crimson eyes glance towards me and he nods, a smile on his lips as he spoke "Yeah, it's a soup with all the normal stuff: vegetables, chicken, sausage," His voice trails off as he's naming the ingredients.

"I've tried to get the rest of whatever she puts in there but Tsu refuses to tell me," He lets out a defeated sigh "Family recipe stuff." 

I chuckle at that, feeling slightly bad for the sad Soldier until we move forward and Iida is getting his share drawn—my stomach letting out an alerting grumble from how well the Gumbo smelled.

"Is it good?" I ask.

"Yes, it's amazing." Eijiro doesn't hesitate to answer, an excited edge to his words as Iida calls out a 'thank you' and moves off to sit down on one of the few logs available.

Tsu's large eyes glance over me, her free hand raising in a slight wave as we step closer "Hey Tsu," I greet cheerfully and she already has a smile present as she looks me over.

"(Y/n)," She replies, and gently takes my bowl—her other hand briefly lifting a spoon from the pot to pour the Gumbo in before handing it back to me "Be careful, it's still hot."

I nod towards her warning, sending a grateful nod her way as I grabbed the bowl from her hand "Thank you for the food, Tsu, it smells amazing." I comment and her eyes close lightly as she smiles more.

"You're welcome, Kero." The little words escapes her lips easily and I move out of the way so Kirishima could get his share.

With an excited 'thank you' from the redhead, we were off—our figures coming to sit on one of the logs as well before we dug in, feasting on the food the beautiful girl had provided.

And just like it smells, the food tastes equally more amazing—grazing my tastebuds with savory flavor and filling my stomach with the delicious dinner.

'Now this is soup!' I internally exclaim, remembering the horrid bowl with unnamed contents I had the unfortunate luck of being presented with—long ago when I was still a Lady and Eijiro was just a common soldier.

I'm quick to scarf down the food—actually, I don't think I've ever eaten food as fast as I just did but as I look up, my stomach content and my mood enlightened with joy, my eyes cast over the campsite.

The people of the group are chattering away, creating a lively hue to everything as they ate their shares with glee on each of their features.

"You know, this reminds me of when we were traveling together—" Eijiro comments—nearly reading my reminiscing mind with a pause as if he was swallowing.

I glance his way, fighting back a laugh when I catch him licking the bowl for anything left and honestly, I didn't blame him.

"How long ago had that been? It feels like ages." I breathe a sigh to put out the giggle bubbling up in my throat.

"It's been long," He states, giving me an even look before his eyes avert away—his hands idly set his bowl into his lap with a thoughtful expression overtaking his features.

When he speaks—and it isn't for a little bit, his voice is soft, wondering "Are you okay with all of this? I know it's much more different than what you had grown up with."

My brows furrow at that, curiously tilting my head in his direction as he continued "I can't offer you riches or a life of luxury." He claims, finally shifting those crimson eyes to meet mine.

"You've already given me your heart and I believe that is enough." I smile, leaning in slightly so that my quiet words would meet his ears.

In the light of the fire, his face flushes and at some point, the group had broken out into a mass of different songs, singing in celebration that they would 'be home soon.'

"I don't regret any of this." I say, turning to look amongst the cheering and happy faces of the people around us.

Then I stand up, setting my bowl down on the log before holding my hand out for his "Everything else is in the past, there's no need to bring it up anymore because it doesn't matter." I claim.

He's quiet as he stares up at me and I can see when those little sprout of insecurity and worry melt away in his gaze "Come on Red, dance with me!"

He grabs my outstretched hand, allowing me to whisk him off as the cheering continued and the light of the flames lit up the area—the combined voices of the group singing loudly into the night.

This was a night of celebration as we are now one day away from freedom.
——————————————————————————

Look at his eating face— That boy in MUNCHIN'