Chapter 1: The Extra Tip

"And done!"

Once you snapped the last photo of the one-year-old, Yang Jungwon, your best friend, picked up the child and kissed her on her cheek. "You did a great job, Rayun!" he praised his daughter. His wife, Kim Chaewon, kissed Rayun on the other cheek. "Yes, great job, sweetie!"

You smiled as you watched the parents continue to praise their cheeky daughter. Seeing smiles was one of the reasons you loved being a photographer; it always brightened your day.

You opened Nishi Photography Studio five years ago, right after you and your now husband, Nishimura Riki, got married. Money was tight after the honeymoon, but Riki's adoptive mother and your photography teacher, Park Jiwon, pitched in and helped you open the studio.

You missed her every day.

"Thank you so much, Y/n," Jungwon said, walking to where you were. "Oh, it's nothing!" you said, looking at Rayun playing with a rattle on her mother's lap.

"Chaewon and I already paid for Rayun's session, but we wanted to give you something extra. It's just another way of saying thank you."

Your friend took out his wallet and took a stack of bills out. You held out your hand as he placed them on your hand. You counted the amount and gasped.

"65,000 won? Jungwon, I don't deserve this!"

"No, Y/n, you do," Chaewon said, carrying Rayun where you and Jungwon were. "You've done so much to keep this small photography studio running. Jungwon told me how passionate you are about photography, and I witnessed it today. So yes, you do deserve the money."

"It may not be much, but it's just a little extra," Jungwon added. "If you ever need help, just call us."

"Thank you so much. I appreciate it," you said. Once the family said their goodbyes and left the studio, you began to close it up. You placed the money inside a pocketed section of your purse and patted it. "I can't wait to show this to Riki."

You turned off the light and locked the door. From the studio to your apartment was a five-minute walking distance, but Riki hated you walking alone at night, even though there were other businesses on the street. You tried to explain that to him, but he wouldn't change his mind. "You have a car. It's much safer and faster than a five-minute walk. Think about the weather too." After another ten minutes of arguing, you finally surrendered and agreed to drive your car.

"Another busy day tomorrow," you said as you unlocked your car and climbed inside. "I'll get a good night's rest tonight."

You opened the door to your apartment and saw your husband, Riki, typing on his laptop. He didn't see you come in, so you decided to surprise him.

You placed your purse on the counter and took out the 65,000 won. Then you quietly sneaked up behind your husband and kissed him on the cheek. While doing that, you placed the cash on the laptop keyboard. Riki smiled, turning to look at you. You hugged him, leaning on his shoulder.

"Got an extra tip today?" he asked you. "Yes," you replied. "Jungwon and Chaewon came for Rayun's first-year baby pictures. They said I did a great job handling Rayun, knowing how rambunctious she is."

"And they're right: you're a great person to be around, Y/n. That's why your studio is so popular. That's also one of the reasons I love you."

You became embarrassed and moved off of Riki's shoulder. "We've been married for five years, and it still throws me off when you give compliments. You rarely did this while we were dating."

"Well, get used to it because you'll hear them more often. However, I also like seeing you blush, so keep doing what you're doing."

You scoffed as your husband laughed at your reaction. You pulled up a chair by Riki and sat down. "So, what are you working on?"

"Just the next lesson plans for my class; I'm finishing the last few touches." Riki was a kindergarten teacher at a private elementary school. Riki was also in charge of the whole kindergarten curriculum at the school, making lesson plans every week. So most of the time, he was busy as well.

Riki placed the money next to his laptop and went back to work. "You know, one of my students asked me why I didn't have a kid. I told him the class was my kids, but then he said a kid with the same name as mine. I think he was trying to say, 'last name.' I just laughed it off; he's adorable."

Your mood quickly became sad. You knew Riki wanted kids to call his own, but you were still hesitant. Money wasn't what you had a lot of. You were also struggling to get pregnant.

Riki saw your expression and closed his laptop. He suddenly leaned in and kissed you, catching you by surprise. You kissed him back, and after a few seconds, you two pulled apart.

"Y/n, it's okay. No matter what struggles we go through or the arguments we have, I will always love you."

He hugged you and held you tightly. "You love me too, right? Was I the right person to marry?"

You smiled and hugged Riki back. "Of course you are; you don't need to ask that."

"No matter what comes between us, you will always be my one and only."

—————
A little background on the characters:
• You and Riki got married after he graduated college with his teaching degree
• Jungwon and Chaewon (his gf in the last book), got married and had a child four years later (Rayun)
• Park Jiwon, Riki's adoptive mother and the photography teacher, died. Cause will be revealed later :(
Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote and follow!