Chapter One

London, 1812Bath, England

London, 1812
Bath, England.

Lady Margaret had buried her head in a book as she sat comfortably in her reading table. She had shifted and adjusted quite a couple of times before she found a perfect spot.

"Lady Margaret" the lady's maid called from the door post.

"Yes, please" she replied so gracefully, but quite perturbed.

"May I come in?" that was always what she said when she had something to gossip about. Margaret smiled and welcomed her in, patting her back so the maid could undo her laces.

"What is the matter, Eleanor?" she said and breathed out like the lace had limited the amount of air she took in and out.

"Your father, the king, plans to host a lavish ball for his friends from overseas"

"Overseas, you say." she said and tapped her fingers on her book.

"Are the lady's allowed to attend?" she asked with so much enthusiasm.

"I heard the Queen's maid say that she has to stop by the garden and cut some roses for her gown"

"Hmm. So the women are allowed to attend then?"

"If I must, yes" she brushed her hair softly.

"Do you perhaps know if Lord Edward Worthington will be attending?"

"Ohh... Dear Lady Margaret" Eleanor chuckled with her hand over her mouth.

Eleanor had been Lady Margaret's devoted maid since the tender age of ten. From the moment Margaret had arrived at the grand estate, Eleanor had taken it upon herself to become not just a maid but also a trusted confidante and a source of guidance. With each passing year, their bond grew stronger, and Eleanor became an integral part of Margaret's life.

As Margaret's maid, Eleanor had witnessed her transformation from a spirited young girl to a blossoming woman. She had been there to brush Margaret's long, golden locks, help her slip into elegant gowns, and fasten delicate jewelry around her neck. But her role went far beyond the superficial aspects of their relationship.

Eleanor had always been resourceful and astute. Recognizing the restrictions placed on women by society, particularly during a time when the king's expectations weighed heavily, Eleanor took it upon herself to be Margaret's eyes and ears in the world outside their secluded existence.

With her keen observational skills, Eleanor listened intently to the conversations of the house staff, paying attention to the snippets of information that circulated the estate. She discreetly gathered news from visitors and traveling companions, absorbing the world beyond the walls that confined them. And when Margaret was ready to listen, Eleanor shared her knowledge with caution and discretion.

Eleanor would regale Margaret with tales of political intrigue, whispered rumors from the court, and snippets of scandalous gossip that drifted through the high society's circles. She described the events and personalities shaping the world outside, allowing Margaret to have a glimpse of a life beyond the confines of her sheltered existence.