Chapter 17

Ashton looks at April with wide eyes at the mention of Meghan's name. April quickly walks to her bedroom and closes the door.

"Let me video call you April will that be easier for you?" Ask Meghan.

"It would be nice to see you."

Meghan cuts the call and April make herself comfortable at her dressing table. A video call from Meghan comes on her screen. She quickly answers it.

"Before I say anything else thank you for getting Emma justice. You choose to let your mother go so my sister could be avenged. I'm sorry it took me so long to see that."

"You're welcome."

April looks at Meghan she looked really tired she had circles around her eyes and her eyes weren't as bright as she remembered.  She knew it was nighttime in the country that Meghan was calling from.  Which meant she was losing sleep because she was calling her.

"If you still want me to I'll come to your wedding and be a bridesmaid."

"I do.  It was hard to be cut from your life like that Meghan and to have your sister and sister-in-law blank me. As an owner of her own company.  It would've been nice to be able to speak to Alice especially now since she's running your husband's company."

"Them being around you after you chose that woman's side would have been too hard for me to deal with."

"I get that but for twenty-eight years she was your mother, Meghan.   She loved you, cared for you and was at every major event in your life. I spent almost four years working for you. I know how much you admired her."

"That's what made the truth about her so painful. I was looking through some photos of the two of us over the years. We had so much fun together April."

"Yes, we did.  I was your assistant/secretary. I went on every business trip with you. I was there when your wedding fell apart and you felt George and Emma was having an affair.  When you married George we no longer had the close friendship we once did. I get it, the married partner will always come first and you had a child together."

"I'm so sorry April I didn't think of anyone but myself back then. I was selfish and full of myself.  So much was happening to me.  Emma died and I had a new baby to take care of.  I forget Emma was your friend as well.  You worked for me but she was your friend too."

"I miss her as well and I still stand by what I said about her and George not having an affair."

"You were right April they didn't have an affair. She did something amazing for me that didn't come out at the trial."

"Really what?" Ask April.

Meghan tells her about the eggs and that woman destroying them. Then about what Emma did for her.

"Oh wow, that's a lot to take in. No wonder Emma didn't return any of my calls after the wedding fiasco," realises April out loud. "She was too busy trying to keep herself and the baby safe. Thank God your dad and mum was there to help her out."

"I know.  April, Emma and I suffered a great deal but we had a support system in place. My grandparents weren't really my grandparents but I loved them dearly and they died knowing I was their grandchild. For the last five years you have had no one to support you."

"How did you know that and I have Ashton now?"

"I may have cut you off for the last five years April but I check up on you from time to time. You are a workaholic my sister tells me she hasn't heard about you dating anyone for a while. You don't go to a lot of parties or social events."

"I spent four years doing a biochemist degree while lying I was doing a business degree."

"When I first interviewed you for your job.  I wondered why someone with a business degree wanted to be my assistant. So, when I heard through the grapevine you were doing a business degree. I knew it was a lie so I discreetly made some inquires and heard you was studying at NYU."

"You did that even after you decided to dump me."

Meghan looks pained at April's words, "I deserve that. I often think of you April. Palace life is so busy and suffocating at times. I miss the times we had lunch together or just hang out."

"So being a princess isn't all about tiaras and balls then?"

"It's about duty and work."

"Do you wish you weren't a princess?"

"I like being with my parents and it's a part of my birthright."

"That wasn't an answer, Meghan."

"I enjoy being a princess but there are days when I miss running my own business. Finishing work and going for cocktails with friends.  Taking a day of if I want without scheduling it first."

"You miss spontaneity."

"Yes, I do but what I get for lack of it makes up for it ten folds."

"I miss us talking like this Meghan.  Five years is a long time to go without hearing your voice."

"I know.  You haven't met my daughter yet."

"It will be nice to meet her."

"Thank you for not letting go of my personal details April.  We are getting a second chance because you didn't let go of me."

"Too many people have let go of me Meghan which meant I couldn't bear to let go of you."

"I'm glad you felt that way April.  George and I will come to London two  days before your wedding with the children."

"Hold on a second, Ashton come here a second," shouts April. Ashton comes running towards her. "Is it okay if Meghan and her family stay at the London townhouse couple days before the wedding?"

"Yes, we have plenty of room. Tell her there's a pool in case she wants to bring her bathing suit."

"Meghan, would you like to stay at mine and Ashton's place while you're in town for the wedding?"

"I couldn't impose on both of you like that."

"It's not a problem at all and it will be nice to see you before my wedding day."

"In that case we would love to stay with you."

"Great I'll see you then, and it's late at night where you're.  I'll let you go so you can get some sleep. Bye Meghan."

"Goodbye April."