Nine

。

。.✦ ☾

Tom had her stuck alone in a dark bedroom, not a single candle lit, filling her with a deep and unsettling loneliness. She sat on the silk-covered bed, her knees drawn up to her chest, staring at the large wooden doors.

Anna closes her eyes, biting her lip to stifle the cries. She missed Remus. He wished he would track her down and sweep her off her feet, but this wasn't that type of fairytale.

Anna sighs. Suddenly the doors open slowly, her eyes widen and she jumps quickly, drawing the covers over her.

Tom was distracted as he quietly read the daily profit, shucking off his shoes and throwing his jacket onto his armchair.

Anna watches him with a bated breath. "You staring," Tom mumbles coolly, his eyes coming up from the profit.

Anna flushes deeply an embarrassed color. Tom hums, lowering the paper before shedding the rest of his clothes, and making his way over to the bed.

Anna's eyes widen. "W-wait what are you doing," Anna asks

Tom smirks. "Don't worry darling, I'm just going to bed, it's been a troublesome day, and I am exhausted," Tom whispers with a chuckle. Anna watches as he enters the covers, his chest flexing with every movement he makes.

Anna swallows before turning away and hugging herself.

Tom watches her briefly with sad eyes.

....

The days have gone the same. Anna continued to ignore Tom and Tom did everything to get her attention. Everyone in the manor was less than amused.

"Dark lord, if I may.....the others and I have agreed and we believe that the girl has become a distraction...." An older man states, gulping fearfully at the dark eyes of his lord.

Tom sneers. "Nagini," Tom orders softly

Suddenly all that is heard is the screams of the old man who spoke up.

....

Anna stared into the fireplace, her fingers curling into the leg of her pants. She imagined how big Polaris would get, would he become as big as the dragons near Durmstrang? She then thought about Remus, she knows it's been three days, but he must be looking for her, hopefully.

....

Hogwarts.

Remus opens the letter that was addressed to him.

Remus,

I apologize for my sudden departure, something has come up with my mother. Her dear sister, my aunt has unfortunately passed....another casualty of the war. Both my uncle and mother are completely heartbroken, as am I. It seems the war has only gotten worse since the end of Christmas. I longed for the moments when it was just you and I.

But those moments have come and passed, forgive me. I won't be back at Hogwarts for a while.

With admiration,

Anna

Remus reread the letter over and over again something felt wrong, it was completely unlike Anna, but then again, she just lost her aunt. He wished she had wished for him to come, it's been three days without a word, and now this.

He missed Anna, he breathed out harshly, turning to the fireplace, staring into the flames.

....

The doors to Tom's bedroom open up. A graceful Walburga steps forward, holding her head high as she takes in her surroundings before they land on Anna.

"You were always attracted to the flames, I could never understand why," Walburga states

Anna looks over and her eyes meet dark ones. Walburga was different, colder, and crueler. She wasn't the same kind of girl who loved to write. She wasn't the girl who dreamed of having a family.

"The flames will never lie to you, you may want to touch the flame, but the harsh breath of its smoke whispers to you, warning you. It's honest, unlike so many people." Anna whispers

Walburga reaches over and she pushes Anna's hair over her ear, admiring her pale features. "I always envied your pale looks, you had Tom and almost every boy at Hogwarts wanting you. But then you disappeared and all of that jealousy vanished. I missed your presence." Walburga says

"How can you look at yourself?" Anna asks, staring at her with unrestrained anger and hurt.

Walburga hums. "How can you say any of this to me? When you are completely awful to your flesh and blood. What happened to that girl who dreamed about a family? Tell me
Walburga? Where is she? Because she's certainly not the woman I'm sitting across from." Anna says

Walburga pulls her hand back, humming. "She was destroyed the moment Tom lost you, the moment you disappeared." Walburga sneers, standing and making her way to the door.

"And how in hell is that my fault." Anna sneers with a small stutter. Walburga turns, eyes dark. "I've done everything right, every single day of my life. So tell me! How is it my fault that I lost half of my life!" Anna yells, her face flushed with hurt and anger.

"Why did you have to befriend me? Why couldn't you just leave me alone?" Walburga asks "I can't be missing a girl who could never be mine." Walburga whispers

Anna's eyes widen.

"Walburga." Anna breaths

The woman stands tall and she pulls away. "Goodbye Annabelle, please do take care of yourself," Walburga whispers, leaving the girl to her thoughts.

Anna lets a few tears shed, quickly wiping them away.

She couldn't let her guard down, not even for those she used to love. Walburga turned into someone hateful, she couldn't forget it.

....

A/N

Ugh, I'm shipping Tom and Anna!!! It's kind've cute!!!! Almost like an enemy to lovers, especially when they're forced to sleep in the same bed, not that Tom minds.