(The Traveling 5 Arc) Rotten Burns

Start from the beginning

"Seriously, Cleo, you sure she's the nice one?" Jimmy asked, somewhat hushed as if that would stop Pearl from hearing him.

"I said she'd be willing to help you, I didn't say anything about her being nice," Cleo said, rolling her eyes again.

"Help? Help with what exactly?" Pearl asked. "I didn't sign up for this!"

"Yes you did," Cleo said.

"Yes I did," Pearl admitted. "I'll be honest, I've heard a bit about you in particular from Cleo-"

She pointed her nose to Scott.

"-but otherwise, I know nothing about either of you. Which is great, because you know nothing about me either. You two look like you have alot to learn too, so welcome to the barn, new rogues!" she said. "Now, is there anything you already know?"

"I-" Scott went to speak, but Pearl quickly shushed him.

"Abubub, I don't want you to tell me, I want you to show me." Pearl said, walking towards the barn door. "Follow me, I'll bring you to some unclaimed spots where those pesky clans won't get mad we're hunting around."

...

The following week was full of hunting and heavy work, especially for Jimmy when his first test proved him to be the least skilled out of him and Scott. Scott still had a ways to go, don't get me wrong, but having been friends with Cleo all these years and wanting to learn all that they knew put him leagues ahead of his mate, who enjoyed his mostly inactive kittypet lifestyle and would've stayed that way if he weren't under these circumstances.

The water from the barn's well was starting to run dry, and the nearest river was all the way in the old Nightclan territory, so while Jimmy, along with two other rogues, were sent to get a bucket of water from the stream, Scott went off to practice hunting by himself. He made sure to keep clear of any clan border lines as he found a good spot and waited, eventually hearing a rustle of leaves as a rabbit popped out of a bush near him.

He settled into a hunting crouch, consciously making an effort to not lean to one side and be put off balance. He crawled forward, slowly and slightly, before pushing off and leaping towards the prey, only to be met with another cat who had the same idea, crashing into each other and giving the rabbit time to escape.

"OW! Do you mind?" The blue cat asked rudely, sitting up and rubbing his head.

"Scott?"

Wait. He knew that voice. Scott opened his eyes to see the yellow brindled cat, his black ribbon collar now tied across his head.

"Martyn? What're you doing all the way out here?!" Scott asked.

"I got bored," Martyn said bluntly. "Hearing our two-leg constantly worry about you got old really quickly, so I thought I'd follow you out."

"...you're out here because you didn't know the way to the barn, aren't you?" Scott asked, noticing how tired the brindled cat looked.

Martyn nodded. "I was just kind of hoping I'd get lucky eventually, but hey, it worked!"

"Well, I guess since you're here I might as well lead you back to the barn," Scott said.

"You don't have to!" Martyn said, gaining a confused look from Scott.

"You... just said you were looking for the barn?" He questioned, tilting his head.

"Actually I meant I was trying to find you, I just thought the barn would be a good place to start but you're right here so it's fine!" Martyn reasoned.