Chapter 2: Reckless

Maverick hadn't got out of his suit before approaching J'onn, 

"Why the hell didn't you call off Supergirl" He demanded, 

J'onn showed him the tablet, "We don't know. Something was interfering with her comm unit" 

"Well what the fuck was it?" Mav fired straight back. 

Supergirl and Superman floated in, Super girl not noticing Maverick yet, 

"I need you to check footage for an armoured attacker" She sighed as she landed, before noticing Maverick, "You..." she growled, 

Mav stepped back and pulled all his weapons up on her again, ready to push her back, "Supergirl stand down!" J'onn roared making the Kryptonians hesitat, "Captain take your helmet off" 

Mav's helmet opened. The face section moving onto his forehead, "If she tries anything, I'm gonna blow her back to Krypton" 

"Watch it" Superman grolwed, 

Mav pointed an arm at him, "Don't worry Captain America I got enough of these for you too" 

"Mav?" Kara asked, finally realising who was in the suit, 

"'Bout time you figured it out" He growled, "Now if you aren't going to apologise, I'm going to go get changed" 

Recalling all of his weapons into his suit and closing the helmet again. Maverick returned to the lab, ready to take of the suit.

"How the hell was I meant to know you were in there?!" Supergirl demanded, 

Maverick glared at her as machines descended and started taking apart his suit for repairs, "I don't know, maybe listen to me next time? Don't be so reckless with someone who is helping you" He spat, 

"Why the hell should I have trusted a stranger in armour?" She shot straight back, 

As Benjamin stepped out of the suit he took his gloves off and smacked them down onto the desk, making Kara jump, "Maybe just don't be so goddamn reckless next time" he yelled, "You could've killed me!"

"You seemed to fair okay" She scoffed, 

Maverick shook his head in dismay, "You know you are something else. What if that had been a civilian trying to help? Would you have lasered him? Tackled him?!" 

"Civilian's don't dress in Military grade armour!" She yelled back. Their argument attracting the attention of nearby agents, 

"You're still reckless" He growled, "You don't inspect your surroundings. You throw yourself into dangerous situations without a thought for your health. Don't you get it, if you go down that's a beacon to every nasty alien out there that earth is open for business!" 

"Where's that come from?" She asked carefully, 

Finally sick of her Maverick slammed his fist on the table, "Damnit, just get the fuck out of my lab" 

She retreated slowly, realising that maybe something else was going on here. In truth, Maverick didn't know where that came from. He'd just started yelling and got on with it. 

Alex followed her sister to see if she was okay. Meanwhile Winn came into the room, "You okay...?" he asked, 

Nick nodded, standing straight, "I'm fine. Now the left leg felt like it was dragging more than the right, I don't know if that was from impact or-" 

"Mav" Winn approached him, but Maverick shook his head, 

"I said I'm fine Winn" he snapped, "Now we've got work to do" 

-- Line Break -- 

It came to the end of the day and everyone had left. Benjamin was training, glad to be alone as he stood with his thoughts. Unfortunately that was interrupted by knuckles rapping on the door behind him. Taking a break he turned to see Alex stood there, "I wanted to talk" she sighed, "Now there are no ears around" 

Benjamin wrapped a towel around his neck and sighed, "What is there to talk about?" 

"Benjamin... you're a mess" She sighed, 

He scoffed, taking a swig of his water bottle, "I'm fine" 

"You're not sleeping, you're not eating. You completely lost it at Kara earlier, I thought you lo-" She started but Ben cut her off, 

"Finish that sentence and they'll never find your body" He warned, 

She held her hands up, "Benjamin you need to look after yourself" She sighed as she sat on the bench next to him, "Can I have some?" She asked, 

"Water?" He laughed, but couldn't deceive her enough, 

"I can smell the vodka from here moron" She laughed, nabbing the bottle off of him and taking a swig. Wincing at the burning, "I don't know how you drink that straight, and I used to be an alcoholic" 

"You do know..." He whispered,

She winced, "Sorry. Have you... have you heard from any of them?" She asked, 

He shook his head, "They haven't found me. Not even Sienna" 

"I'm sorry, I know how close you two were" She replied, 

He shook his head, "I'm fine" 

"Damn it Benjamin" She cursed, "Let me help you" 

"There's nothing to help" He stated, emotionlessly 

She placed the bottle down, "Yes there is" Agent Danvers denied, "You're sleeping on my couch tonight, having a good dinner and sobering up" 

"I'm not drunk" He argued, 

She chucked the vodka bottle across the room, "Then lets keep it that way" 

"What if I say no" he challenged, 

"I can't force you" She agreed, "But I could suggest that the Director checks the security footage, doesn't exactly scream 'fit for duty'" 

"You're blackmailing me?" Mav laughed, 

She nodded, 

"Maybe you're not so bad after all Danvers"