Chapter 2: USS Neptune

As soon as Maverick touched down his jet was swarmed with his comrades, cheering at the success. Benjamin hopped out of the cockpit and started climbing down the ladder, laughing as he did.

Many other pilots and deck hands were smacking Mav on the back, congratulating him on the kill.

All of them were suddenly put to a stop when an impact was felt on deck as Supergirl touched down.

"You the pilot?" She demanded, hands on her hips,

Passing his flight helmet to one of his comrades, Maverick swept his hair to the side and confidently strode towards the Kryptonian, "We're all pilots here sweetheart" he mocked, "But I was the one who saved your ass"

Clearly unimpressed Kara nodded towards Maverick's fighter, "In that piece of Junk?"

The other pilots all chuckled at the shots thrown at their comrade, "That piece of junk stopped the snake from digesting you"

"Please, even if it had swallowed me I'm durable enough to bust out" Kara scoffed, her arrogance only winding Maverick up more,

He strolled towards her until he was only about a foot away from her, "Then why did your boss call me for help?"

"To minimise damages" she tried to counter, but her and Maverick both knew that this argument wasn't going in Supergirl's favour,

"So you wouldn't have actually been able to save people without my help? Isn't that your whole job?" Benjamin mocked with a smirk engraved on his face,

Kara was rendered speechless, her eyes scanning Maverick as she searched for a comeback. But alas, she found none.

"Speechless Sweetheart? Didn't know I had that affect on you" the pilot continued mocking, 

Triumphant Benjamin turned to the rest of  pilots and laughed, "Alright dicks you lot need to get back to work now!" He yelled, "Leave Supes and I alone" 

Groans came from all of them as they returned to their duties, leaving Kara and Maverick alone. 

"What the hell was that?" the Kryptonian demanded,

Maverick shrugged, "Show for the lads. It's not everyday we get a girl who can catch bullets around here" 

"So that was all for show?" She scoffed, 

Shaking his head the pilot gestured for her to follow him as he walked along the deck of the USS Neptune, "You came here, insulting my baby. Instead of a simple thank you all you did was say you didn't need me" 

"So you did it because I was rude?" She asked in disbelief, 

Nodding Benjamin pointed to the horizon, "You see the sun setting on the horizon. Whenever I fly, I aim for the horizon. For the sky and stars. Yes I have to come down before I reach any stars. But for a moment. When I'm climbing right at the beginning of my flight. I'm aiming for the stars" 

"Why are you telling me this?" She demanded, 

"Because you know that feeling. Every time you leave the ground. Yet you still insulted it to my face? You insulted every one of us. And you still haven't thanked me!" Maverick challenged, "So go. Fly back into that Horizon. Yes I'll come back and save your ass when you need it, but for now get the hell of my ship" 

She looked at him in shock and awe. But knew she was not welcome here any longer. So bracing herself she launched from the deck of the ship and flew back into the horizon. Only one thing still on her mind. 

Who the hell was that pilot? 

Back on the deck of the USS Neptune, Maverick had returned to the control tower where his CO was waiting for him, "Admiral" Maverick greeted, 

Admiral Markus Hunt. He commanded an entire fleet of ships that stood on standby along the American coast. Operation Spielberg was established so that if any non-terrestrial lifeforms became too much for the ground forces to apprehend, then there were several specially trained pilots only minutes away that would have a better chance of taking them out.

"First Lieutenant Drake" The Jamaican male replied, "Congratulations on the first successful performance of Operation Spielberg" 

With a small smile Maverick nodded, "Thank you Sir. Hopefully now It's been successful we can expect more calls" 

"We're still one of the last options Maverick. Our pilots can't engage in Cities yet" He reminded the younger male, 

Shrugging, Maverick pointed to his fighter through the window of the control tower, "I could"

"It's not happening Son" The Admiral reminded him, "We can't risk the damage" 

In his head, Benjamin was cursing. Wishing the Admiral would have more faith in him. But on the outside, he nodded. Accepting the fact that he couldn't do anything about it. 

Yet. 

One day, part of him wished he'd be where Admiral Hunt was. Leading Project Spielberg. The Admiral. But he was conflicted. He also wished to stay in the cockpit for the rest of his life. But for now, he would do as he was told. He wouldn't argue. He wouldn't act out. He'd be a good soldier. Because good soldiers follow orders. 

"What now Sir?" Mav asked, still stood firmly at attention, 

"Now we wait again" Markus told him, "and you clean lizard off of your jet" 

Not allowing the sigh to escape his lips, Mav nodded, "Yes sir", before heading back onto the deck to wipe a load of Alien guts off of his baby.