Chapter 6: Bring It

Once more Maverick was awoken, this time to the sound of urgent chatter in the bunks.

"She nearly died!" he heard Goose exclaimed, "A man with a green rock in his chest nearly wiped her out!"

Mav sat up. Green rock. She. There's only one person they could be talking about, "What happened?!" He demanded, jumping down onto the ground,

"Supergirl and Superman got their asses handed to them in National City" Iceman explained, "Some random dude with a metal chest nearly killed her"

Kryptonite. Maverick immediately new what the green rock was, the only thing that could harm Kryptonians on this planet. He raced out of the room, heading for the communications center aboard the Neptune.

"What's going on in National City?" I demanded upon entering the room,

One of the officers stared at Maverick, "First Lieutenant" he addressed his superior, "We have orders to keep you grounded, away from the news"

"Well we'll keep it between you and me" Maverick snarled, "Now tell me what the hell is going on in my city!"

Everyone had heard of Maverick, the best Pilot in project Spielberg. But so much more as well. The best hand to hand combatant on the ship, but with the shortest temper as well. Maverick was someone you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of. Ever.

So the officer complied, handing Maverick a headset to listen into. On the screen a news report of the fight in downtown appeared. Superman and Supergirl were engaging this Metallic villain until Supergirl was struck in her chest with a beam of Kryptonite.

"Kara" Benjamin whispered under his breath, praying she was okay. Whilst he held some harsher feelings, he still cared about the Kryptonian. Despite what anybody else said, "When did this happen?"

"About 2 hours ago sir" The officer replied as he gestured to the timestamp on the footage,

"Do we have any word on Supergirl?" Benjamin pushed for information he required, "Is she alright?"

The Officer Maverick was speaking to nodded, "She's recovering" He revealed, allowing Maverick to release a sigh of relief, "She'll be okay"

Standing back slightly Maverick smiled slightly, "There, that wasn't too hard was it!" he slapped the officer on the back, who winced at the sudden force, "If anything else happens I want you to tell me straight away, understood?!"

The communication's officer nodded, "Yessir" he said very quickly,

"What's your name kid?" Mav asked,

"Corporal Leeds Sir, Harry Leeds" the young man introduced himself,

"Thank you Corporal Leeds" Benjamin laughed as he left the room in order to perform some of the new duties he had inherited since being grounded,

Those duties happened to include on-deck tasks. He hadn't been given clearance to fly, so instead he'd been ordered to help other pilots prep for take off. A harsh punishment in Maverick's eyes. So close yet so far from the skies. He worked there all day, helping pilots who were training take off. Assisting some in making repairs or improvements of their own fighters. Then when the sun started setting he began the only other thing that he truly loved doing.

Sparring practice.

Normally pilots were only trained in firearms and basic hand to hand combat. But since Maverick had come aboard, he'd started weekly sparring sessions to train his crewmates in more sophisticated fighting styles.

They formed a circle, surrounding Maverick on top deck.

"You know the drill fellas" Benjamin announced, "Whoever takes me down wins the pot"

That was the other thing. At the start of every session every man who partook paid in a single dollar to the pot. Some incentive to make it interesting.

The first one to step forwards was a man taller and more muscular than Maverick. But instead of feeling intimidated he just smirked. The first strike came quicker than you'd expect from a man of his size. But as fast as it was, Mav was quicker. Dodging underneath it he used his opponents momentum to flip him over his shoulder and onto the floor.

"Out" the Pilot laughed as the first foe fell, "Next"

It continued much like this for the rest of the session. Every opponent who came at Maverick ended up on the floor in seconds. Every single one of them.

"Unlucky fellas" Mav laughed, "Maybe next week"

Suddenly Corporal Leeds forced his way back through the crowd towards the circle in the centre, "One more!" Someone in the crowd called out,

But when Benjamin saw who had come through, a loud shout of dismissal came from his mouth, kicking everyone else back to their normal duties. When the group had dispersed, Benjamin immediately turned to the Corporal,

"What's up Leeds?" he demanded,

Out of breath, Leeds handed him a tablet, "They're fighting him again, the man with the kryptonite"

Grabbing the tablet off of him, Mav immediately pulled up the video feed, "It's not gonna work" he cursed,

As he said that, a beam of Kryptonite came from off screen and struck Kara in the back. They were fighting downtown, Superman and Supergirl back to back. The issue was, it there were now two men with kryptonite in his chest.

"They barely managed to beat one, how the hell are they going to beat two" The pilot exclaimed, "Where the hell is their back up?!"

"They've not got any"