Chapter 3 - Training

"You seriously told Supergirl, the indestructible Alien, to fuck off?" Iceman (A/N Come on I'm not having Maverick with no Iceman) laughed, "You got a set on you Maverick I swear to god" 

"Well not in those exact words" Mav chuckled, "But that was the general theme" 

Everyone in the room laughed. Iceman, Goose, Slider and Maverick all bunked together on the Neptune. Had done since they came aboard nearly half a year ago. When in groups, Maverick and Goose flew together, whilst Iceman had Slider as his wingman. (A/N The whole gang :)) Together they were the some of the best pilots in the fleet

"She was fine though Man" Goose laughed, 

From where he was sat, Maverick threw the tennis ball he was holding. Smacking Goose right between the eyes before it somehow returned to his hand, "You've got your wife dipshit" He reminded his friend, but there was mirth to his words, 

"Oh I wasn't talking about for me Benji" Liam, Goose, Reynolds revealed, "After all you two seemed to be in your own little world on deck" 

Once ore the Tennis ball struck Goose and returned to Mav. 

"Will you stop that!" Goose yelled making Iceman and the rest laugh, 

Mav jumped down from his bed. Only wearing a white vest shirt and joggers. His dog tags sat around his neck.

"Where you going!" Iceman laughed,

Benjamin shrugged, "Out", and before anybody could ask anymore he headed out of the room to his favorite spot on the ship, 

And that spot was sat leant against the landing gear of his baby, looking out on the sunset before him. And as he sat there he remembered Kara Danvers. Or as she is known now supergirl. 

He knew it was her as soon as he saw the first reports of supergirl. A woman who could fly? Who bullets bounced off of? That could only be the girl he had once loved. But she didn't even recognise him. He remembered the days when she would promise to be his forever. When she would fall asleep in his arms as he held her close. How he'd make her laugh like no one else could. 

Yet she couldn't remember any of that? She looked straight through Benjamin as if he wasn't there. All she saw was Maverick. But that's how it was meant to be, Maverick before anything else. He had a duty to fulfil and he couldn't let some girl distract him. No matter how much he once cared for her. 

What he didn't know was that on the other side of National city, a certain Kryptonian sat with her sister complaining. 

"He was infuriating Alex! No one has irritated me this much since.." But she trailed off. Realising who Maverick reminded her of, 

"Benjamin" Alex sighed, "Since Benjamin"

Kara curled up into herself. Pulling her knees close as a tear escaped her eyes, "It's been 10 years Alex" 

"I know" the other Danvers soothed, pulling her adopted sister in for a hug, "But you've done so well. You've moved on!" she tried to reassure the Alien but Alex knew that when her sister got like this, there was no consoling her, 

"But he died! Because of me!" Kara cried, "Because I couldn't protect him" 

Even though she couldn't see Alex's head, Kara felt her sister shake her head, "No. His death was an accident, a car crash. There's no way you could have known what was going to happen or stop it" 

"I just wish he were here Alex" Kara whispered, 

Alex wished she could tell her Sister what she knew. That the man she loved had never died. That he was currently sat on the deck of the USS Neptune wishing she had remembered him. Instead she had to lie, to protect him. To protect her. To protect everyone from what would happen. 

Two people. Separated by circumstances neither could have seen coming. Yet deep down they still loved each other, even if they didn't realize it. There was still that spark between them. They just needed to find it once more.

-- Line Break -- 

It was the following day, and Admiral Markus had decided that his boys needed some training. So  Maverick had been assigned to fly with Goose while Iceman and Slider were together once more. 

"Okay boys" the voice of Admiral Hunt came from their radios, "Aim of the game today is to take down Maverick" 

Immediately Mav tensed up. He hadn't been warned about this, he was only just finding out. 

"Shit" He grumbled as he immediately saw his three comrades break away from him and circle round for an attack. 

Quickly, he flew away from the attack group and towards the rising sun. Hoping to use the bright light to his advantage. But against three fighters who knew his movebook, this would be especially difficult. So Maverick knew he'd have to come up with something new. 

His display showed that Iceman was trying to lock onto me with his rockets.

"Not today" Mav muttered before harshly yanking his joystick to the side. His modified fighter followed suit, twirling around in the air as he cut off his engine. When he was facing the three fighters, he punched the engines again. Taking off towards his training comrades at breakneck speed. 

"Fuck" Goose cursed as he watched his wingman lock weapons onto Slider and knock him out of the training. 

One down, two to go. 

Goose and Iceman quickly flanked back around to try and come in for another attack. But Maverick had the advanced fighter. Maverick had the better skills. They knew they couldn't make a mistake or it would cost them their lives - Well. Pretend lives. 

Goose had Maverick in his sight. His weapons were locking on, he was nearly there. Until Mav flew right in front of Iceman, and instead of the weapons locking onto his target, Goose lost target and had to take evasive action to dodge Iceman. When he had finally straightened up, Maverick was hot on his tail. And Goose just couldn't shake him. So when the tone came that indicated Maverick had lock on, Goose was out of the session. 

That left only one. Iceman vs Maverick.

They followed each other, always changing who was in the lead. Over open water like they were now, neither could use landscape or environment to their advantage. 

Or that's what Iceman thought. 

Maverick began climbing, aiming for the skies and the stars beyond. And of course not realizing that it was exactly what Mav wanted, Iceman followed. They kept climbing until warning lights appeared on Iceman's display. Maverick knew his fighter could outlast Iceman's, so bided his time until the other skilled pilot pulled away and started descending. Quickly pulling back on his joystick, Mav looped back on himself until Iceman was in his sights once more. 

"Dead" Mav whispered as the tone sounded and he had lock on Iceman. 

Maverick had won.

As Iceman returned to the USS Neptune, Benjamin started flying back towards the ship himself. Only he didn't slow down as he approached the carrier. Instead he sped up, flying straight past the control tower at near supersonic speeds. The whole room shook and Admiral Markus' coffee flew all over him as it did. 

"God damn son of a bitch!"