Chapter 4 - UFO

Maverick was awoken by the sound of an alarm. On instinct he was up and out of his bunk, rushing to his locker to throw on his flight gear.

Across the water, in the city, Kara Danvers was also awoken. Only she was awoken by her phone ringing. The call to action. She sped into her wardrobe, quickly switching into her suit before taking off out of her window.

Maverick was in the cockpit of his fighter before anybody else had even reached the deck. His flight checks had been prepped and his engine purring like a kitten. Yet he didn't know what he was aiming for yet.

"Maverick" Admiral Markus' voice came over the radio, "There's an unidentified flying object just entered the atmosphere and it's heading straight for national city. Supergirl will try and divert it into the ocean. Your mission is ,if she should fail , to destroy the object before it hits the city"

"Received and understood sir" Maverick responded as he sat waiting for the words he needed to hear.

"Mav you have clearance to launch" The control tower notified him.

Punching forward, Maverick flew off the deck of the Neptune and towards the location indicated on his radar.

"Neptune come in!" Maverick called into his radio, "I need patching through to Supergirl"

Without a response from his base of operations, Benjamin could suddenly hear Supergirl talking to her own base.

"It's some sort of pod!" The Kryptonian was saying,

"Supergirl" Maverick announced his presence on the comn unit, "What's the situation"

He heard her curse under her breath. She clearly didn't want him there. Kara didn't think she needed the cocky pilot's help, and couldn't understand why he was here.

However, the distraction was all that was needed for the pod to crash right into her. Sending both towards national city, right past Maverick.

"Shit!" Benjamin yelled as he quickly spun round to pursue Supergirl and the UFO,

He managed to catch up, holding just behind the Kryptonian and the crashing pod. The G force from the pod was making it nearly impossible for Kara to fly.

She was going to crash.

"Homebase Kara and the UFO are in free fall" Maverick notified the DEO,

"Lieutenant destroy the object" the voice of admiral Markus came over the radio,

"Supergirl is in the way Admiral and we don't know what's in the pod. If I destroy it now it could kill her" Benjamin argued,

"Fire Maverick that is a direc-" the Admiral started but Benjamin cut the signal between them, "Homebase, they're approaching the city I need a plan"

Suddenly the radio came into life, "Maverick this is Winn" a male voice introduced himself, "If you get close enough I could patch the pod's flight system into your controls"

"How close would I need to get?" Mav immediately asked,

"A metre away?" Winn answered after a small moments hesitation. But even he wasn't 100% sure,

Maverick cursed before cracking the bones in his neck, "Let's go Mav" he said to himself as his fighter quickly picked up speed until he was right on top of it.

He was almost in position, but couldn't quite get close enough.

"Screw it" he sighed as he quickly flipped his jet over so that his cockpit was about a metre away from the pod. He finally got a good look at the pod. It was made of some smooth white material with a single glass window. Except the window was fogged so he couldn't see inside.

On his HUD, a bar appeared that was slowly filling. Showing how close he was to connection. However that wasn't the only thing he was close to. The three objects, the jet Kara and the UFO finally broke through the clouds and were seconds away from the city.

"Maverick!" Admiral Markus' voice came again. They'd somehow reestablished the connection, "Pull out and destroy the UFO! You cannot fly into the city"

"Just watch Me" Benjamin grumbled as he finally approached National city. Just before anything could hit a building, the connection between the Pod and Mav's fighter hit 100%.

Maverick yanked upwards on his control, bringing both the jet and the pod into a climb. The two flying objects nearly collided with CatCo news tower, but Mav managed to manoeuvre away. He weaved in and out of buildings until he came out the other end of National city, heading towards the desert.

"Homebase, where's Supergirl? Is she okay?" Maverick immediately asked when he was clear of the city,

"She's fine Lieutenant. Thanks to you. But I expect your admiral won't be best pleased" an unfamiliar voice greeted Benjamin.

With a sigh, Ben disconnected his flight mask as he cursed. Realising the shit he was in.

— Line Break —

"Do you have any idea how irresponsible that was!" Admiral Markus yelled, "You flew into the city! With an unidentified alien object that could have very easily been a bomb capable of wiping out National city or worse!"

Maverick stood there. Stoic as his CO glared at him, "You endangered thousands of lives for no good reason"

"Sir, Supergirl was-" Maverick started to argue but Markus cut him off,

"No! Supergirl could have easily survived that, yet you put her above everybody else in National city" He growled, "You're just lucky your risk paid off"

"Sir?" Maverick asked, unsure why the Admiral's tone had changed,

"You did save the pod. And apparently a more than just the lives of everyone in National City" Markus revealed,

"There was someone in the Pod. It wasn't a bomb. It was an escape pod"