21 - unplanned

Beginne am Anfang

You thought he might pause, the way he did in the hospital room four years ago. But his reply was immediate.

"I am," he said firmly. "I promise."

"Okay," you nodded, emotions choking your throat a little at the thought of Taehyung becoming a regular presence in Nari's life. "Let's do this properly then. I think you should file for joint custody."

Taehyung's eyes went wide, but not out of terror. He just looked excited.

"Really? You mean that?"

"Yeah," you replied. "I mean, you've been making regular payments since she was born, you've been nothing but reliable the last few months. I'll vouch for you. The court will send someone to assess you and it might take a while, but if you're prepared to wait..."

Taehyung was already nodding vigorously. "Yes," he said, unable to contain his smile, and now he was the one who seemed to be letting his emotions get the best of him as his voice thickened. "Yes - fuck. Thank you."

You punched his arm teasingly. "Look at you, Kim Taehyung. You're going soft. Driving all the way across Korea for a unicorn-obsessed four-year-old."

Taehyung laughed, wiping his eyes. "Aish, you also said you were really sick. Forgive me for being concerned."

You conceded. "I'll give you that. I was so unwell. Actually, the last time I remember being that sick was when I was preg-"

You stopped in your tracks.

"Hang on," your blood ran cold. Taehyung's eyes widened.

"Oh shit," he said. "Are you-?"

"I think I might be," you whispered now, quickly doing the mental mathematics to calculate when your last period was. It was before you had slept with Namjoon, definitely, making your period a week or so late. Not late enough to know for certain, but enough to have an inkling.

Oh shit. 

Again?!

"Is it bad to say I'm extremely relieved it's not mine this time?" Taehyung joked with a huge boxy smile. You had laughed, and then let him draw you into another hug. "Seriously, though. Congratulations."

Tears welled in your eyes against Taehyung's shoulder. "Thank you."

You were having a baby. 

With Namjoon.

You had spent the two days since wondering how you were going to break the news to him - and doing a pregnancy test, to make sure - but eventually, you had given up planning.

You loved him, and he loved you. You didn't need frills or grand gestures.

Hence why you were standing in front of him right now, his mouth hanging open at the news, and you felt so happy you thought you might pass out. 

"Joonie?" you asked after a moment more of silence. "You okay?"

"I'm sorry," he swallowed hard, gazing at you with deep coffee eyes. "I think I might need you to repeat what you just said."

You laughed, stepping a little closer to him. "Funny - we're both very intelligent people, and yet neither of us bothered to think about protection."

Namjoon let out a puff of air. The colour had drained from his face. 

"Are you sure?" he asked, his koala eyes wide with shock and earnest. "Really?"

"Yes," you nodded, smiling, knowing he was confused about how casual you were being. "We're having a baby, Joonie. So I think maybe you should just accept that I'm certain. That I'm all in."