You simply grinned patiently. "Yes. Namjoon is very big. Don't worry."

Nari thought for a moment, before she nodded. "Namoonie is a big boy," she said seriously. "Not like Jimimi. Jimimi is little."

You chuckled. "Yes, angel," you smiled, noting that you must tell Namjoon and Jimin about this later.

But that had been at breakfast three weeks ago. And since then, in classic toddler fashion, Nari's interests had changed. 

Her best friend at school, Aeri, had brought in a plush unicorn the other day, and since then, it was all Nari could talk about. She wanted unicorn teddies, unicorn t-shirts, unicorn books, and - of course, a unicorn birthday party, with a unicorn birthday cake. 

Except you had already ordered a load of puppy related party equipment, and it was now a day before the party was supposed to take place at Mrs. Kim's place, with all of Nari's friends, and there wasn't a unicorn in sight.

"Is there anyone we could call?" Jimin asked, glancing around at the boxes of equipment in your apartment as you sat on one of them, despairing. "Any shops that might have some unicorn stuff?"

"At this stage? It's gonna cost me a fortune. And I just... don't have that kind of money, Minie," you admitted.

It was awful, but it was true. You felt like the worst mother in the world, for not being able to give your daughter this. 

"You know," Jimin started now. "You could always ask-"

"No," you cut him off sternly, knowing what he was about to say. "We are not asking Namjoon."

"But you know full well he'll do it for Nari," Jimin pointed out, rather correctly.

"Precisely," you said. "He's literally always bending over backwards for her. Not this time."

Jimin rolled his eyes. "Come on-"

"No, Minie, just... look, it'll be fine, okay? Nari will probably have forgotten she even asked for a unicorn party by tomorrow," you said nonchalantly, but you knew it wasn't true. 

Nari was a smart cookie. She would remember.

Jimin, however, was prepared to let it go. "Okay," he said. "I'll bring this over to Mrs. Kim's and get it set up. I'll see you there tomorrow, yeah?"

You nodded, hugging him. "Thank you."

After you'd put Nari to bed later, you tossed and turned, unable to sleep. The feelings of worthlessness had returned, drowning out all of the work you had put into the party. If you couldn't give Nari everything she deserved, then what kind of mother were you?

Eventually, you gave up on sleep altogether.

When you rose the next morning and strapped Nari into her car seat to take her to Mrs. Kim's place, you were on autopilot. You bit at your lip nervously, hoping that Nari would like it. Hoping that it would be enough. 

Nari ran on ahead into the house as you collected your things from the car. As you walked into Mrs. Kim's house, calling out greetings, you knew something was different immediately. Following Nari's voice, you headed outside for the garden, and stopped in your tracks. 

"Eomma!" Nari beamed, the excitedness rising so rapidly in her she couldn't contain it, beginning to bounce up and down. "Look - UNICORNS!"

-- ★ --

It was an extravaganza. There was no other word for it.

The whole of Mrs. Kim's yard had been transformed into a party area, with a huge unicorn shaped pinata hanging in the middle. There were unicorn cookies, unicorn party bags... even a face painting artist who was preparing intricate unicorn designs for the party guests. Not to mention the bouncy castle, or the trampoline, or the giant bubble-blowing machine.

And right there, in the middle of it all, dressed in a smart white shirt with a huge smile on his face, was Namjoon.

You rounded on your heel as Nari sprinted excitedly around the yard, letting Namjoon tell her what everything was, and spotted Jimin, leaning against the garden doors with a smirk on his face.

"Park Jimin," you began sternly, in a voice that told him you were cross, but before you could chide him, Nari's tiny hand was tugging at yours as she dragged you out into the garden too, demanding that you come and look at every single part of her party setup.

Namjoon just laughed at her as she pulled you along. You could feel her hand vibrating in yours. She was so excited, you felt tears prick at your eyes just watching her.

Eventually, Nari barrelled into the kitchen with you in tow, pointing up to the kitchen counter.

"Eomma! Eomma! Look at what Namoonie got me! It's a unicorn cake!" she was babbling excitedly, demanding to be lifted up, which you did easily, seating her on your hip. The cake was very elaborate, and you had no idea how they had managed to get it here so fast.

"Wow," you and Nari said at the same time, gazing down at the multi-coloured unicorn's horn recreated in icing.

"Joon coaxed it out of me when I got here yesterday," Jimin said into your ear now, so quietly only you could hear it. "He did all of this in under twelve hours."

You glanced at Jimin, and then at Namjoon, who was gazing at Nari with a huge dimpled smile on his face.

Yet again, the gratitude you felt for having Kim Namjoon in your life was immeasurable. It was beyond words. Not to mention, Nari was so excited by the whole thing that she was practically shaking in your arms.

"Did you say thank you, sweetheart?" you murmured in her ear, and she turned to Namjoon, flashing him a boxy smile she had inherited from her father.

"Thank you Moonie," she said, a deep pink blush on her cheeks as she did. 

Namjoon laughed and tickled her chin. "Anything for my birthday girl," he smiled, and then his gaze met yours.

Thank you, you mouthed at him, over Nari's head.

He simply winked back, and mouthed one word. 

Always.

-- ★ --