"Oh, so it's okay for a single mother to teach their children, but not to send her children here?" you spat now, unable to contain their anger. "My daughter is brighter than most of the seven year olds in this school. She is three. And you still don't want her here? What kind of classist hypocrisy is this?"

Again, the Principal simply glanced around, saying nothing.

You could only gaze at him in horrified anger.

You knew that your school was a prestigious one - the best in the city, most likely. But you were a teacher there. Not only that - a soon-to-be Head of Department. And now, you were being told that because of something beyond your control, Nari could not go to school here.

It was devastating.

"Think about it," the Principal was rising up out of his seat now, as if gesturing that it was time for you to leave. "And let me know what you propose to do. I can recommend many good schools in the city for your daughter."

You were too stunned and irate to respond, so you simply left the office, slamming the door shut behind you. 

You spent the rest of the day in an angry daze, willing it to get to 4pm so you could go home. Nari was still at Mrs. Kim's, but she was staying there this evening, too; you were going out for dinner with your friends, so Mrs. Kim had offered to babysit. 

After ringing Mrs. Kim to check on Nari and blow her a million kisses over the phone, you went home and changed quickly before hightailing it to the restaurant, walking in at the same time as Jimin and Jin. Jimin gave you a huge crescent-mooned smile and drew you into a hug. 

"You looked like you needed that," he grimaced, running a hand through his hair, which he had dyed bright orange. "Rough day?"

You nodded, sighing, and spilled everything to Jimin and Jin as you waited to be seated. 

"I mean, I'm a fucking teacher there!" you cried, for what felt like the thousandth time. "It's bullshit."

"It is," Jin hummed, his arm wrapped lightly around Jimin's waist. "It's also discrimination. Did you consider taking legal action?"

"No," you replied dejectedly. "Honestly, Jin - I'm just so tired, and so busy. I don't think I have the time for it."

Jimin began to reply, but then the server was walking you through the restaurant, indicating you to a table across the room where Namjoon, Jungkook and Yoongi were already sat. The three of them waved cheerfully at you and you waved back, noting how big Namjoon's beaming, dimpled smile was tonight.

Of course, the dinner was for him, after all - he had just been made Junior Editor at Page7, and you were here to celebrate.

"Look, don't mention this tonight, okay?" you murmured to Jimin before you reached the table. "It's Namjoon's night. And you know what he's like, he'll just..."

"Stress about you being upset until he's found some way to make you happy?" Jimin smirked, as if he knew something you didn't. "Don't worry. My lips are sealed."

You squeezed Jimin's arm to thank him, and then greeted your three friends, sitting down opposite Namjoon at the table. For the first hour or so, you forgot the school altogether, losing yourself in catching up on your friends' lives. It was only as dessert was being brought out that Jin let it slip.

"So what will you do?" he said from the seat next to you. "About Nari, I mean?"

You glanced at Namjoon, hoping he hadn't heard. No such luck.

"Nari?" his eyebrows went up. "What's wrong with her?"

You sighed internally.

Nari and Namjoon were thick as thieves. Having spent the first 18 months of her life in the same house as him, Nari was attached to her Namoonie, and often wanted to see him when he came in from work. Now that you lived apart, if she couldn't call him and say goodnight, she was morose and sorrowful until he called her the next day to apologise.