Chapter 1: Birthday

Comincia dall'inizio

I hear a soft voice come from behind me. "Hello, Y/N. You look gorgeous."

When I turn around, I was met with Lily's grandma, Ha Eun. She still looks as young as a 25 year old woman with just a few wrinkles. She greets me with open arms and wraps them around me.

"Thank you, Halmoni. You still look very young, I'm surprised you haven't gotten a second husband." I joke, which earned me an honest laugh.

"Don't be silly, I'm too old to get married." She replies, giving me a warm and earnest smile.

"No, really. You deserve someone to take care of your kind heart and beautiful features everyday." I say honestly, giving her a warm smile in return.

Ha Eun was like my own grandma. Lily's family took me in when my parents passed away; I always wanted the best for her family, especially her of course.

"That's enough flattering me." She takes a step back to look at both Lily and I, a pleased expression on her face. "My beautiful girls, they're all so grown already. Aw.."

Lily and I giggle at the compliment and we follow Ha Eun into the living room to have some girl talk while we wait.

After a while, a man walks into the living room; Lily's dad, Joseph. I forgot to mention he's Australian.

My parents were both Korean and my family lived in Australia for a couple of years before both of our families decided to move to South Korea. I have a bit of an Australian accent, but I don't know much slang since we moved when I was around 12.

"There's my daughter! Your mother is looking for you. And ah, I see Y/N is here." He gives me a warm smile and kisses my forehead like I was his own daughter.

"I'm glad you're here, you barely ever come over anymore!" His Australian accent is thick, but it was also pretty soothing as he spoke.

"My bad, Uncle Joey. You know your son and I don't get along." I chuckle lightly, earning an earnest laugh from Lily's dad.

"I don't blame you, my son can be a hassle." He pats my head and turns his head towards Lily. "Let's go, your mother's waiting."

Lily nods and follows him out of the living room.

- ,,

It was finally time for us to celebrate Lily's new era of life. Lily's mother, Janice, brought the cake into the living room and set it down onto the coffee table. "A beautiful cake for a beautiful lady." She says, a warm smile on her face. She turns her head to scan the room. "Lily, where is your brother?"

"He's probably with his friend upstairs or something." Lily scoffs, shaking her head.

"Such an inconsiderate human being." I say, nudging her elbow playfully with a smile. We giggle

Janice calls for Lily's brother. And at last, I see his stupid face. Fred.

I glance over to see the person next to him. He looks about an an inch taller than me and had dark brown, almost black hair with mesmerizing dark brown eyes. His eyes meet mine and I immediately look away, realizing I was staring at him.

"Alright, I'm here. Let's sing for my baby sister!" Fred says, standing next to Janice and Joseph.

Lily's sitting next to me on the couch with Ha Eun standing next to the couch. The mesmerizing man sat next to me on my left, catching me off guard. But I snapped out of my daze as we all started singing.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, dear Lily~ Happy birthday to you!" We all clap and Lily closes her eyes, making a wish. She opens her eyes again after a few seconds and blows out the candles, making us all cheer.