Sixteen | Business Trip

Start from the beginning

I was so lost in my thoughts that when he snapped his fingers in front of my face, I got startled and the mug slipped from my hand.

The shattering of the glass was loud and we both stepped back as it fell in between us.

Ezekiel grimaced when he saw the mess. He may not agree but he does have an OCD for cleanliness and perfection.

"Shit," I muttered and bent down to pick up the pieces of glass before he could start being anxious about the mess. "Sorry."

"Stop. Don't pick it--"

I let out a cry when a small piece of glass cut my index finger and blood started to ooze out of it.

He grabbed me by my shoulders and pulled me up.

He dragged me to the sink and held my finger under the water.

Thankfully it didn't hurt that much but Ezekiel looked to be in more pain than me.

"Keep it like this", he told me and left my side to grab a first aid kit from one of the drawers.

Removing my hand from the water, he cleaned the cut with some antiseptic, his eyes focused on the task.

All my pain didn't matter as all I could think about was how he cared for me.

He was concentrating so hard on cleaning my cut and wrapping it up that it seemed he was treating something big.

"Thank you", I whispered when he was done.

He kept away all the things inside the first aid kit but didn't leave my hand.

"You have to be more careful, Chiara." He scolded me softly.

His eyes lifted to meet mine and to my surprise, he pulled my hand up and pressed his lips over my wounded finger.

That simple act made me breathless and he must have seen the shocked look on my face for the corner of his lips lifted up into a slight smirk.

I snatched back my hand and pretended to fix my dress.

It was only after we had breakfast and he was about to leave for work did I notice the trolley suitcase by the door.

I frowned. "Are you going somewhere?"

His features hardened and he gave me a nod. "A business trip to LA."

I felt offended. "And you didn't tell me?"

He pretended to adjust his cufflinks. "It was only finalised yesterday evening."

"You had the whole night to inform me of this, Ezekiel. Why didn't you?"

He closed his eyes and his jaw ticked. "I forgot, Chiara. I was very busy yesterday."

I scoffed. "Right. I think I was stupid to think that as your wife I had the right to know about your schedule."

He didn't even look at me which angered me even further.

"At least, you can tell me how long will you be gone?"

"I am not sure. A week most probably."