"No."

The wall unit lights shut off, although there are still a few bright pixels on the wall—it is enough to give his body an eerie glow. His tail swishes, hanging over the side of the bed.

I swallow around the lump in my throat, and I am tempted to lay by his side to settle him so that he can sleep.

I can't. Even if my fellow humans on this ship never know about this choice, I need to do this for them. Between my computer programs and potentially a chip that will follow where I go—it gives us humans a chance. Others might find out about the lobotomies and put a stop to them.

His tail swishes, but after more time, his body and tail lay limp.

***

I awaken with those tentacles dancing and writhing in the air above me under the strange glow from the wall. They remind me of seaweed drifting back and forth in the tide. Those tentacles might as well be on a distant planet because even though I yearn to touch them, I can't.

My head swirls with thoughts of what I am doing to him. I understand why he is so upset. He wants to keep me safe. Denying him physical proximity eats away at him. He probably feels like a failure.

Although the tentacles have generally been very respectful until now, one of them gets frustrated, whipping my blanket away from me. I fight with it, tugging and trying to get my blanket back, hissing at the tentacle. Tarak wakes up and yells at them. They retract to his body.

His tail thuds against the floor. Great, thanks to the great tentacle debacle, we are both awake. So maybe after another hour of neither of us sleeping, I finally speak.

"Please. I need to do this. It's my body, so it should be my decision."

The wall crackles, translating my words. I know the instant he comprehends because his fingers scratch the sheets.

"I can't lose you."

"And I don't want to lose you, Tarak, but by not being able to find the right words, it's like I'm in a cage. But if I have the translator in my brain–"

He huffs in the darkness.

"–I could cross these gaps faster and recognize which terms I need to explain. Don't you want to know what's inside me?" I need him to agree to this and I crawl so close to him that I can feel his body heat.

Poor Tarak can't take it anymore and pulls me into bed with him. I must not be able to hold out anymore, either, because I melt into him when his powerful arms wrap around me, and he tucks me under his chin.

"What if I told you that I'm a biologist? I studied a bit of human neurobiology in college, so maybe I could help evaluate the protocol, and it will help increase the likelihood of success..."

I am glad he can't see me that well in this light because I'm sure my cheeks redden with the preposterous claims I'm making. Earthlings don't have the technology (nor the understanding) to create and implant a functioning translator into the brain, yet I am reassuring him that somehow, his pet human will help.

He stays quiet but holds me. When the first blue light from the blue star on the walls shines, he finally speaks.

"Kayla decides."

Why does the pit in my stomach feel worse?

***

Tarak keeps his word and sets an appointment for me to meet with surgeons later in the day.

He also takes me to work with him. Although Tarak is trying his best to be supportive, it's obvious to me he's having a tough time with this, between his thrashing tail, his clenching fists, and then when one of his subordinates admits that he forgot to complete a task, Tarak throws him over the desk.

When it is time for my appointment, Tarak escorts me to the surgeon's office. Rigel is so excited to hear that I have decided, he rushes to meet us in the waiting room. I've always felt comfortable around Rigel. How could I not trust someone who looks like an angel? Plus, he always prods Tarak to consider my points of view. Today, though, it bothers me that Rigel, who seems to pride himself on his communication skills, is not addressing Tarak's distress.

So, when the surgeon calls me into his office, and Rigel stands to go with me, a big smile plastered on his face...

I push Rigel back toward Tarak.

"Help him," I say, my eyes going to my poor distraught owner. Tarak's tail thrashes so much he is likely to take out the table in the lobby.

"But–"

Rigel's fluttering wings go still, and he goes toward Tarak.

"Kayla," repeats the surgeon.

I look back at Rigel and Tarak. Rigel leans close to Tarak, speaking with him. Only then does my racing heart slow. The part of my brain that needs the ones I care for to be safe calms.

Tarak will be alright.

I step into the consultation room.

***

The day of the operation arrives.

I want to give my protective Tarak one last hug before the operation, just in case. Unfortunately, there isn't any time due to the need for sedation. No, not for me, for Tarak. He roars and shoves a monitor against the wall, and–

Yes, sedation is probably best for him.

Or that's what the two guards in the medical unit say. First, one shoots a tranquilizer into his back and when that doesn't work, another one injects him in the arm.

My poor alien threatens everyone around him, even as he lies with his back on the floor, his eyes fluttering. I give him one last kiss on the nose before his eyes fall shut and he is unconscious.

"Kayla, you don't need to do this. We have electronic translators accessible in nearly every room on this ship. You can learn the language or Tarak," Rigel pauses and glances at Tarak's unconscious body sprawled on the floor. "If Tarak were not sedated, I'm sure he would tell you that he can learn the language. That you don't need to–"

"Yes, I do," I say, standing on a chair and giving my angel a quick peck on the cheek. His cheeks redden.

"Come with me, Kayla," says the surgeon.

I follow the surgeon but halt in the doorway, turning for one last glimpse. My protective Tarak is still sprawled on the waiting room floor (at least he'll be unconscious for most of this), while my watchful angel's wings are outstretched, filling most of the waiting room.

It isn't until that moment that I see my life from a different perspective.

In a strange way, I have nearly everything I always wanted. I could step away and keep this all: Tarak, who will care for and protect me; friends, ranging from an angel-looking creature to my human park friend, Lugh; and to top it all, I have done what I always dreamed of, which is to travel beyond my solar system. I could go through the records stored in Hydra's computer system and see any life form I want. So why must I risk everything I have?

Then I think about Ava. Today she is in danger. Shouldn't I at least try to help her? Even if I ignore the danger she is in, it's probably only a matter of time before another pet is in danger of being lobotomized.

For Ava and other humans on board this ship. That's why I am doing this. I walk through the door.