Issue 8: Say My Name

Start from the beginning

Gus tilted his head. "So...glorified steroids?"

Willow covered her mouth a bit and even Luz held in a laugh. Vee lifted her head, smiling a little.

"Without side-effects, yeah." Hunter said with a chuckle. "Dunno if he's made progress, but he's honestly more shocked than any of you guys...I'm honestly too tired to really give my proper thoughts."

Luz's eyes softened. "You should probably head to bed after school."

"That's the plan..." Hunter said.

Luz then looked back at Gus. "Okay, back to the Spider-Girl name...please tell me there's something better."

"What's wrong with that?" Willow asked, tilting her head.

"It's just...I dunno, kinda bland! Generic! Something that comes off the top of your head!" Luz said before looking at the video on Willow's phone. "Like, look at the costume! It's all sorts of colors and just super flashy! Spider-Girl isn't a good enough name."

Gus blinked before he hummed. "Yeah, you're right!"

"The power of a nerd strikes again." Vee said with a weak chuckle.

Luz smiled proudly. "What can I say, it's a powerful force of nature."

"Hmmm...what about Spider-Woman?" Willow asked. "No, no, that's pretty much the same."

Luz hummed. "Sounds a little better, but yeah. What else?"

Hunter started to laugh a bit. "What has this conversation turned into...how about Arachnid?"

Gus nodded, thinking about it. "Sounds epic, but too villainous. Y'know?"

"Ooh, Gus has a point!" Luz said. "Spider-Hood?"

Willow shrugged. "It's okay."

'I really hope you guys can give me something good, a superhero name is way harder than I thought.' Luz thought.

Vee then finally decided to throw her hat into the ring. "Maybe...Spider-Light?"

Luz blinked and turned. "Spider-Light?"

"Y-yeah! Because her eyes are gold and they glow like a nightlight...so..."

Gus hummed. "That...actually sounds pretty catchy."

"Flashy too." Willow smiled. "How does it sound to ya, Luz?"

Luz smiled at her sister. "Yeah...I like that."

Vee smiled back, even sitting up. "Good. My other option was Spider-Witch cause she kinda looks magic. Golden webs and all that."

'DANGIT, NOW I CAN'T CHOOSE!' Luz thought.

Later that following night...

Wittebane Enterprises. A man was staring at it from afar, wearing a trench coat and hat to hide his identity. He knew this building and its security was going to be tough to beat.

But...tough to beat and impossible were two very different things.

The man began to walk closer, acting as if he was just walking by before he reached into his coat's pocket and pressed something.

Then, the lights and power at Wittebane Enterprises suddenly went out. The guards quickly activated flashlights and started shining around.

The man quickly started to walk closer, using the darkness as an advantage...and then? Two slimy tendrils with three large claws on them suddenly grabbed the two guards at the door and slammed them together, knocking both unconscious.

Their weapons and keycards were quickly caught by two other slimy arms, with one of them scanning the keycard in order to get inside. Once the doors opened, the man dropped everything as the tendrils retracted into his back and he stepped inside, not saying a word.

The man pressed his ear suddenly, giving him night vision as he started to hide in the darkness as more guards started to walk by, also with flashlights.

The guard hummed and leaned into his walkie-talkie. "What's the cause of the power outage? Any luck?"

The man just smirked to himself before continuing to hide, waiting for the right moment to strike.

Then, a response came. "There's an EMP...someone's trying to break in- OOF!"

The guard's eyes widened before suddenly being knocked out by one of the slimy tendrils from the man's back.

The man then walked out, stepping over the guard's body as he looked around. Some parts of the building had certainly changed from when he was last here, but the layout was the same.

After a bit of walking, the man arrived at exactly the spot he wanted to be and grinned. But then, flashlights were suddenly shining on him.

"FREEZE!!!" A guard cried.

The man was silent and stiff before he turned his head towards the guard and quickly acted, one of his tendrils shooting out and grabbing the guard by the neck, forcing him to drop his weapon.

The guard choked, struggling and gasping for air.

The man huffed and just had his tendril squeeze tighter around the guard's neck before shooting another tendril to the glass, shattering it. And then, there it was.

A bright gold suit of armor with dark parts across it, with one of the gauntlets having a wrist blade attached to it.

Then, the man heard a cracking sound and saw that the guard stopped struggling and was now lifelessly hanging in the tendril's grip.

The man dropped the guard's body and then looked back at the suit as his tendrils retracted.

Then, he heard footsteps and turned his head...but smirked when he saw that it wasn't a guard and instead someone he was working with.

"Are they taken care of?"

"Unconscious...piece of cake." His associates said with a grin before looking at the armor. "She is a beauty, isn't she?"

The man hummed. "Do you think you're ready for it?"

"It's why I'm here, isn't it?"

The man then grabbed the armor and even the glider with his tendrils. "Then, prepare...we've already wasted enough time."