Chapter 7: Memories

Start from the beginning

Curiosity sparked within Glitch, compelling him to follow Viper as she retreated. "Be back in a minute," Glitch said, excusing himself from the dining room and going after her. Moments later, he caught up to her, his footsteps echoing in the empty hallway. 

Glitch approached Viper, realizing that it had been years since their last conversation. Although they did talk a little bit during the meeting, he wouldn't consider that as catching up. Their paths had diverged ever since the end of their time together as researchers of Kingdom Corporation. 

Tension and familiarity hung in the air as they exchanged greetings. "Doctor Callas, it's been quite some time," Glitch greeted with nostalgia coloring his voice. Viper turned to meet his gaze. "Specialist l/n," she greeted back "I see that you're doing well."

Glitch smiled, a glimmer of pride shining in his eyes. "I've been making good use of the suit we developed together, and it has been very helpful during my time as the Radiant Hunter." Viper's lips twitched almost imperceptibly, a subtle acknowledgment of their shared history. "Right. The Radiant Hunter. I almost forgot that we gave you that moniker," she remarked, her voice tinged with a hint of reminiscence. "The healing emitter you taught me how to make has also saved me and other people several times already. I am truly grateful to you," Glitch continued. "I see. It's good to know that you've been putting them to a good use, specialist, " Viper remarked. 

"Please, just call me y/n. I'm no longer a specialist. It has been a while since we had the chance to catch up and talk about things, Doctor," Glitch suggested, a genuine longing for connection evident in his words. Viper's eyes flickered with a mix of emotions before settling into a solemn expression. "I think you are beyond calling me Doctor Callas, y/n. Call me Sabine. I suppose a little reminiscing wouldn't hurt. But there are things from the past that I prefer not to talk about," she admitted, her voice tinged with a hint of regret.

Glitch shifted his gaze aside, his heart filled with empathy. "I understand, Sabine. I apologize if I seem insensitive." he replied gently. "But it has been seven years since the accident. I thought you had moved on."

 Viper took a deep breath before responding to his statement. "My whole life was focused on my career and our research, dull and boring. But when he came, everything changed," she began. Her eyes were clouded with pain and longing. "I was happier. Every morning, I woke up with excitement. He taught me that any day could be a great day if I wish to see the good in it. I still miss him," she confessed. Her voice was empty, as if she was tired of the pain.

Glitch's expression softened as he listened to her words. "Doctor Wallace was more than just a mentor and senior to me. He was like a brother, someone who taught me invaluable lessons," he said. "He may have gone, but his memory lives on. To honor his sacrifice, I want to—no, WE must continue the fight for a better world," he said, brimming with conviction.

Viper's eyes met Glitch's. She suddenly realized that Glitch has not yet known about some things. She took another deep breath before beginning to explain. "Y/n, there's something you need to know," she began, her voice growing serious. "Doctor Wallace... he's not completely gone."

Confusion furrowed Glitch's brow. "What do you mean?" he asked, his voice tinged with a mixture of anticipation and disbelief.

Viper's voice dropped to a whisper, filled with both fear and determination. "He's alive, but not in the way you think," she revealed, as the weight of a 'secret' fell on her shoulders. But before she could continue, her keen eyes caught sight of nearby agents stealthily eavesdropping on their conversation. Jett and Phoenix, caught off guard, attempted to conceal themselves behind a nearby wall, their guilt apparent.

Sensing the intrusion, Viper's piercing gaze locked onto the covert pair, her expression a mix of sternness and disappointment. With a deliberate gesture, she redirected her attention back to Glitch. "We will meet in the training room at midnight. I will explain everything," Viper instructed, her voice a quiet command. She casted a final glance at Jett and Phoenix with unspoken warning, before leaving.