4.

Meg also volunteered to sleep downstairs and so Penny moved into the bed over Jessy and Nita over Meg. While Jessie neatly made her bed and placed a little stuffed dog on her pillow, becoming even more sympathetic to Nita, Meg just sort of tossed her clothes into one of the drawers in one of the closets. Penny, meanwhile, unpacked a generous supply of candy and placed cans of chips and pretzel sticks on the bedside table, which was overloaded with biscuits, bars and other sweets.

"Gum?" she asked Jessie, tossing her a strawberry-red one after Jessie nodded.

"Do you like one too?" she asked Nita while popping a smurf-blue one into her own mouth. Meg elbowed her in the side, but gently, like a friendly nudge to signal that something downright stupid has just been said or done. As she watched the girls, Nita remembered that Meg hung out with Jessie and Penny more often. In what felt like every break, the three stood together and chatted. Nita had always noticed Meg to belong more in her brother's class, although the black-haired girl went to A-class just like her.

"Are you mad Pen?! That's Leon's sister!"

For a moment Penny didn't seem to get it, then her eyes widened, and she slapped her forehead with the palm of her hand.

"Crap, right! Sorry Nita, wasn't on purpose."

"It's okay!" Nita replied and jumped off the loft bed. "I'll take a closer look outside now." And with those words she was out the door.

The shore was shallow. You practically only had to take off your shoes and you could walk several steps into the lake before it got too deep. Of course, Nita did that immediately. She even waited even far enough in for the water to lick her short jeans. Beaming, she looked at her reflection. An eleven-year-old girl with short blood red hair, watery eyes, rather dark complexion, green t-shirt, and a necklace from which dangled a pendant in the shape of a blue bear paw, matching the colour of her eyes. Nita liked her appearance. Others had oddly protruding extremities, an odd position of the fingers, a crease in the corner of the eye or some other characteristic, but there was no sign of her illness, at least not on the outside, and if it weren't for the magical creatures, Nita would have certainly felt like a normal eleven-year-old.