4 0

(Johnny's POV)

"Pretty woman, walkin' down the street, pretty woman, the kind I like to meet..."

Two-Bit drunkenly belted out Roy Orbison's lyrics as he followed me down the street, Dallas holding him upright with his arm around his shoulders.

"You're somethin' else, Two," Dally said, "how'd you make it this far in life?"

"Says you," Two-Bit shot back through slurred speech, "you's ain't no better than moi."

I shook my head. It wasn't even eight o'clock and he was already wasted.

"Hey, Johnnycakes," Dally called from behind me, chuckling, "whaddya say we drop this sack o' meat at home and get some milkshakes or somethin'? On me." He winked at me. "Then, we'll go by your girlfriend's house."

I turned around to face him. "Oh, c'mon, Dal, she ain't my girlfriend."

"Might as well be."

I hated when Dally was right.

When we finally got to Two-Bit's house, we dropped him on the couch where he told us goodbye before passing out almost instantly.

On our way to the Curtis', I thought about what Dal said, reminded of the fact that I still had no idea what I was going to wear to homecoming. I thought about asking him about it, but he'd be about as helpful as a turtle in a race.

Maybe I'd ask Soda.

~

(Cary's POV)

As the hours ticked by and Johnny still hadn't come home, I began to get worried. Did he decide to go back to his house to 'try again' in hopes that his parents were asleep? Go smoking in the lot to clear his head? Because of me?

I tried to read a book or something to keep my mind off of him, but by the time it hit eight o'clock, I shut the book and tossed it across my bed, getting up and walking towards my closet.

I opened it up to see the plastic-covered dress, the light barely pouring in to expose its glittery sky-blue beauty. I couldn't stop looking at it, and I had been thinking about it ever since I put it there.

Soda was just as awe-struck when I showed it to him. "You're gonna look beautiful," he said before turning to me and squeezing me in a bear hug, practically picking me up and spinning me around. "My baby sister, all grown up!"

When we were younger, he would always call me his 'baby sister'. I hated it for the longest time because I was only younger than him by ten months, so because I was the same age as him for two months every year, my young, little mind always thought that constituted to me basically being his twin.

I smiled at the memory. Now, I loved it whenever he called me his 'baby sister', and wished he did it more.

Finally, by nine o'clock, I heard the screen door squeal open and slam shut, followed by the stomping of boots.

I rushed out of my bedroom to see both Dally and Johnny at the door, and I drew back in surprise.

"Well, howdy, stranger," I said, furrowing my eyebrows at Dally, "long time no see."

Dally flopped down on the couch, Johnny giving me an apologetic look before going to the kitchen.

"You feelin' better, princess?" Dal asked, smirking as he spread out on the couch.

"My name is Cary," I warned, "and yes, I am. Thank you, jester."

He reared his head back, laughing. "I'll take it. Work for the royalty, get all their money, right?"