1 4

"Cary?" I heard Linda say from behind me as I finished the last of the dishes.

I turned to look at her.

"I didn't know you were still here."

I shrugged. "There weren't many dishes left. You know the morning shift never does their job," I chuckled.

She walked over to me. "Cary, it's almost two in the morning."

I looked at my watch in shock. She was right.

"I'm sorry, Linda, I didn't know..."

She put a hand on my shoulder. "It's okay, Cary," she pulled a barstool out from the island in the middle of the kitchen and gestured for me to sit.

I did as she asked and put my head in my hands. I didn't realize just how exhausted I was.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I'm tired."

"No, besides that."

"Nothing," I said as if it was question.

She looked at me gently. "Cary, someone doesn't willingly stay past midnight and have everything be fine."

I sighed. She was right. I didn't realize it until now, but even though I loved my brothers to death, I preferred to be at work or school than at home. With Darry and Pony fighting all the time, and Pony just getting jumped...it was difficult sometimes.

"It just..." I trailed off. I didn't know if I wanted to tell her everything. "It's been really tough ever since Mom and Dad died."

She put a hand on my shoulder and looked at me sympathetically, smiling. "I know how you feel."

I started crying. Thinking about Mom and Dad now was too much. Everything was slowly building up over time, gradually crushing me. Lack of sleep, constant arguments, piles of schoolwork, Johnny...

I let it all out next to Linda. She pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back, just like Mom would always do. I cried harder.

After a few minutes, I finally let out my last sob and she let me go.

"Let me drive you home," she said.

I shook my head. "I like walking," I said as I wiped my eyes, "clears my head."

She looked at me and smiled, shaking her head. "You're so stubborn."

I chuckled. "Yeah, I get told that a lot."

We both laughed and she gave me another hug before clocking me out. I went to the back to get my purse, and when I came out, Linda was wiping off a counter.

"Cary," she said as I walked towards the front door, "you know you can always call me."

I nodded.

"And enjoy your day off!" She yelled as I walked out.

The whole way home, all I could think about was my bed. I hoped Darry wouldn't be worrying his head off right now, wondering where I am. He shouldn't be, I told him I would be home late.

I was walking towards the park when I heard the slow rolling of tires behind me. I tensed up, but breathed a sigh of relief when it drove past me.

It was a Mustang. Blue. What were the Socs doing on the East side at this time? I ignored it, thinking they were just drunk and bored, and focused on getting home.

The town was quiet, the only sounds being my feet shuffling against the sidewalk and the occasional dog barking. I don't remember the last time I had been out this late, or if I ever had been, and it felt weird.