0 5

(Johnny's POV)

Not much later, Soda, Steve, and Darry all left for work. Dally left for Buck's and Two-Bit, disappointed by the lack of beer in the house, went to go get some. That left Ponyboy and I with Cary at the house.

Cary was cleaning the kitchen after they left. I tried to help her, but she insisted that I stay on the couch and get warm. I was going to object, but she gave me one of those smiles that could give anyone butterflies and I sat down.

"Ponyboy, why don't you give him one of your sweatshirts?" She asked from the kitchen. He got up and went to his room and he came back with a huge one.

"It's Soda's," he tossed it to me, "might be a bit big."

"No kidding," I said as I put it on.

Cary came back from the kitchen with a cup of hot tea for me and her. Ponyboy didn't want any, so she just brought him water.

Then she looked at me with those bright eyes of hers. "Don't sleep out there ever again. I won't always be out at 7 in the morning to come find you," she laughed.

I waved her off, "Yeah, yeah, you told me already."

Even though I acted like it somewhat annoyed me, I liked that she took care of me the way she did. She was like a mother, a sister, and a best friend all in one person. I knew I could always talk to her about any and everything, things that I would feel uncomfortable talking to the guys about, even Ponyboy. She was different.

"Thanks, though," I told her, holding up my tea.

She smiled at me and nodded. There go those butterflies again. I didn't even know why I was getting them, it had only been recently they had become an issue, even though I had known her for years.

The three of us stayed together for the whole day, and around noon Cary said she was going to bring Steve and Soda some lunch.

"I thought you said you didn't want to go anywhere," I laughed.

"Yeah, well, I'm bored. We can hang with them for a while,"

"What are you making?" Pony asked as she goes into the kitchen.

"Sandwiches," she said and I heard her rummaging through cabinets, "you think they'll have drinks there?"

"You want us to help?"

She laughed. "No, you'll probably mess them up."

"Hey," Pony scoffed, "I can make amazing sandwiches!"

"If you insist," she said. Pony and I got up to help her.

We put together five sandwiches, one for each of us. They were all roast beef with cheese.

I started packing them up when Cary stopped me.

"We're not done yet," she said, pulling out a pan.

"What are you doing?"

"Toasting them, like you're supposed to do." She saw the look on my face and said, "You don't toast your roast beef sandwiches?"

I chuckled. "No, I've never done that. They're just as good plain."

"Well then, you've never had my roast beef sandwiches." She laughed again.

I swear, just that girl existing was making me blush. What was happening to me?

~

(Soda's POV)

"Hey Soda, pass me the one-eighth," Steve said from under the car that we were working on. It was an old, beat-up Mustang that this guy said he wanted for drag races and was paying us hefty money to fix.