Chapter 36- The Smarter Ravenclaw

I saw only the black of Ominis's shoulder as his body pressed into mine as we both fell to the floor of the church. I was almost certain that the church had exploded- I knew that from the sounds of shattering glass and screaming.

"Ominis-" my mouth was dry, "Ominis, are you alright?"

"Yes. Are you-"

"I'm fine. I'm fine. My wand is beneath my skirt." I had lost feeling in my toes, but I knew that was from the shoes I had on and likely had very little to do with the present accident. Ominis helped ruffle through my skirt layers and handed me my wand.

I heard some guests shouting and the sounds of spells being cast. I wanted to know what was happening- but I felt Ominis rise from the floor, leaving me.

"Stay here," he commanded. "I'm going to help."

"Where are you going?" I demanded, scared that he was leaving me behind the altar where I could not see.

I clutched my wand with all my strength. I hoped that Ominis would be okay- and that my family and friends were alright.

A black-clad figure ran and crouched in front of me. It was Sebastian.

"Sebastian! You're alright!" I threw my arms around him, relieved that he was alive and also relieved that I wasn't alone anymore.

"Here, put these on." He pressed my glasses into my hand.

When I put my glasses on, I saw that the church had actually not exploded like I thought. Instead, a dozen statues of the veiled Virgin Mary had burst from their perches, shattering the glass windows and swiping at the guests with gigantic clawed hands. Ominis and his family were firing off spells. My friends and sisters were also fighting the statues, defending the rest of the guests.

Luckily, Hogwarts students and faculty are fairly adept at self-defensive spells. Additionally, the statues themselves were terribly slow. It didn't look like they were doing much harm aside from shattering wooden pews and scaring the living daylights out of everyone.

I was extremely relieved to see that no one was harmed and that the statues were being dealt with without much difficulty.

"Are you alright?" Sebastian asked me.

"Yes, I'm fine. Go help others," I instructed him. He ran to help Ominis as I began scanning for Duncan. I knew he was here somewhere; if not in the church, then perhaps hiding outside.

I slipped away from the fight to find the culprit. I was hoping to catch Duncan by surprise. He wouldn't expect me to leave my own wedding, would he?

I exited the church from an old heavy door in the back. I nearly scraped my fingernails off just pushing it open. Outside was dark, rainy and muddy- and I grimaced as I placed my pristine white shoe into the muck.

"Expelliarmus!"

My wand flew from my hand and landed ten yards away in the dirt.

The wizard who disarmed me emerged from behind the car of a flying carriage wearing a hooded cloak. I knew it was Duncan from the copper rims of his glasses.

"Duncan!" I screamed angrily, my face getting drenched with rain. I turned to run and get my wand; but it was no use in this dress. He caught me instantly.

"Levioso." Duncan had me trapped in the air, unable to break free without a wand.

I realized with horror that I had thought I had the upper hand. But Duncan was also a Ravenclaw. He was anticipating my moves just as I was anticipating his- except, he was doing it better.