Chapter 23- Ominis's Sister

It was decided that since I was to join Ominis's family soon, I should start by meeting his younger sister Claudia, a Slytherin 2nd year.

I had not met Claudia, but I had seen her around the castle playing wizard's chess with her pet toad croaking on the table beside her. She had mousy light brown hair that looked as though it had never been cut, and big blue eyes that always seemed to be looking around with annoyed peculiarity. I'd also heard that she was born with only nine fingers.

Ominis arranged for us to have tea in the trophy room below the headmasters office. Claudia brought her wizard's chess board with her.

Claudia wore a black dress that went down to her knees with white stockings and shiny boots. First and second year girls were allowed to wear short dresses as they were children expected to move around and play, and then 3rd years wore dresses down to their shins, and from there the hems got longer each year. However, Claudia was not exactly the kind of child who would be tumbling around in the grass.

"So, what do you like to do, Claudia?" I asked.

"Chess." Claudia replied curly through her small mouth.

I looked at Ominis. "Do you ever play with Ominis?"

"No." They both replied together.

I made the first move on the chess board. My family adored chess. They'd actually forbidden me from playing with them because I won too much and pissed them off; but today's game would be just for leisure and fun. Claudia moved her pieces, and as she did I noticed that on her left hand she was missing her little finger.

I recalled Professor Weasley told us that Morgana's body had been missing a finger. Perhaps Claudia did not want Morgana to join the Gaunt family, and had murdered her that night, taking her finger as a trophy. No; it was too far-fetched. But an odd coincidence nonetheless.

Claudia captured one of my knights with her pawn. In turn, I was able to corner her king with my rooks. I saw Claudia's big eyes flick across the board rapidly, thinking of how she was going to get out of this. She quickly moved her knight to protect the king.

It was a hasty move made without much thought. I captured her knight, leaving her king exposed again.

"Checkmate," I said.

Claudia's big eyes looked at me accusingly. Her little mouth twitched, obviously annoyed that I had beaten her. She began sweeping her pieces back into their box.

"I'm sorry." I cringed. "Truly, that was unintentional."

"You mean to say you won unintentionally?" Ominis smirked. "Color me impressed. Claudia, be a good sport."

Claudia looked like she wanted to kill me. "But I always win. Always."

"Perhaps you are not as good as you assumed," Ominis said. He was a rather cold older brother.

Claudia glared at Ominis. "Morgana used to always let me win at wizard chess. And she sang good songs."

Claudia had just driven an invisible dagger into my heart. I understood she was upset at losing; but comparing me with Morgana was outright mean.

I saw a storm cloud pass across Ominis's face, and in an instant his whole demeanor changed.

He hissed something to Claudia in parseltongue. I didn't have to understand what he said to know that Ominis was pissed.

Claudia hissed back her own scathing remark.

"Your company was less than pleasant. Leave us," Ominis finally commanded. Claudia finished packing up her chess board and left without acknowledging me.