𝟓: 𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘

" 𝑨 𝒕𝒐𝒖𝒄𝒉 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆, 𝒊𝒔 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒍."

The ballroom had become a forest of fairy-tale winter, of garlands of holly and ivy, red berries against dark green, and white mistletoe hanging above every doorway. Apparently, Tessa had talked Magnus into creating a tree-shaped sculpture out of a variety of weapons before he left for Paris. The trunk of the tree was made of swords: hook swords and falchions, longswords and katanas, all held together by demon wire. At the top of the tree was a golden starburst, from which dangled smaller blades: daggers and zafar takieh, bagh nakh and cinquedeas, jambiyas and belawas and jeweled stilettos.

The refreshment tables with their silver bowls of punch and mulled wine, dishes of gooseberry and bread sauces next to plum puddings and roast goose stuffed with apples and chestnuts. Candles glowed from every alcove, illuminating the room with soft light; gold ribbons and paper chains hung from hooks in the walls.

Eugenia was there, looking furious and wearing a yellow velvet cap over what seemed to be slightly charred hair. Esme Hardcastle was lecturing the Townsends about the difference between mundane and Shadowhunter Christmases, and the Pouncebys were admiring the weapons tree, along with Charlotte, Henry, and Charles. Thoby Baybrook and Rosamund Wentworth arrived together, wearing matching outfits in rose-colored velvet, which oddly suited Thoby better than Rosamund.

Matthew had noticed James clearly trying to pull Jesse away from the conversation with  Rosamund Wentworth. Dahlia and Matthew had decided to approach them and help James in his valiant efforts.

"When my parents returned to England, they settled in Basingstoke," said Jesse as they approached. "I lived there until I found out I was a Shadowhunter, and decided to rejoin the ranks."

"A tragic backstory indeed," said Matthew. Dahlia poked is ribcage with her elbow. He smiled down at her with an impish grin.

"It isn't tragic at all," said Rosamund.

"Being from Basingstoke is a tragedy in itself," said Matthew. James grinned. They had chosen Basingstoke because it was a dull enough place not to inspire much questioning.

"Rosamund," Matthew said, "Thoby has been looking all over for you." This was a clear and blatant lie; Thoby was poking at the weapons tree, a mug of cider in hand, and chatting with Esme and Eugenia. Rosamund frowned suspiciously at Matthew but took herself off to join her fiancé.

"Are people always like that at parties?" Jesse asked as soon as she'd gone.

"Rude and peculiar?" said Dahlia. "In my experience, about half the time."

"Then there are those who are charming and spectacular," said Matthew, "though I'll admit there are fewer of us than the other kind." He winced, then, and touched his head as if it hurt. Dahlia glanced at James and Jesse.

"So," said James, trying to keep his voice light, "I suppose the question is, who do you wish to meet first: the more pleasant people or the unpleasant people or a mixture of both?"

"Is there a need to meet unpleasant people?" Jesse asked.

"Unfortunately, yes," Matthew said. He was no longer holding his head, but he looked pale. "So you can be better prepared to guard yourself against their wiles."