𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫: 𝒑𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒄, 𝒃𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒎𝒔, 𝒂 𝒇𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒅 𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏 𝒂 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒂𝒈𝒆

The last time Dahlia had been this scared was ten years ago. When Dahlia and Ariadne's parents had died in Bombay from the Ventis demon attack. She remembered how everyone in the Enclave had looked at them with pity, she wasn't able to understand why everyone was looking at them like that and why her sister was a sobbing mess. She remembered calling out to Ariadne, "Kamala, where are they? Kamala??". Her sister had not responded, instead she had hugged her fiercely.

She felt that fear now, mixed with horror and unexplainable devastation. 

Dahlia watched Cordelia lean close to Lucie as they jolted through the streets in the Institute's carriage, surrounded by the blurred traffic of omnibuses, motorcars, and pedestrians. Advertisements whirled past. THE HORSESHOE HOTEL. THREE-GUINEA STOUT. NEW PALACE STEAMERS. Signs advertising tailors and fishmongers, hair tonic and cheap printing. A world incredibly distant from the one Dahlia had just left behind in Regent's Park. A world where small things mattered.

Matthew was sitting across from them on the upholstered carriage seat, gripping the seat cushions with his fists. His hair stuck out madly. Blood and ichor stained his linen jacket and silk tie.

The moment the demons had gone, James had taken off on Balios, one of his father's horses, hoping to reach the Institute and prepare them for the arrival of the wounded. Charles had bolted off with Ariadne in the Consul's carriage, leaving Matthew to cadge a ride with Dahlia, Lucie and Cordelia.

Dahlia had been beyond furious once she found out Charles had left with her sister without informing her. More than ever she had wanted to chop him into pieces and throw him into the pits of hell.

"I still don't see how it's possible," said Lucie. "Demons don't come out during the day. They simply don't."

"I've heard of them appearing under thick cloud cover before," said Cordelia. "If no sunlight could get through—"

Matthew gave a hoarse laugh. "That was no natural storm. Yet I have never heard of demons who could control the weather, either."

He drew a silver flask from his waistcoat pocket. Lucie shot him a sharp look before glancing away.

"Did you see the wounds?" she asked. "I have never seen anything like it. Barbara's skin was turning black at the edges where she was bitten—"

"You have never seen anything like it because there never has been anything like this," said Matthew. "Demons who bring their own night with them? Who attack us when we are vulnerable because we believe we cannot be assailed?"

"Matthew," said Cordelia sharply. "Stop frightening Lucie when we do not even know what we are dealing with yet."

He took a swig from the flask as the carriage rattled through Ludgate Circus and onto Fleet Street. Cordelia could smell the sharp, sweet perfume of the alcohol, familiar as childhood. "Lucie doesn't get frightened, do you, Luce?"

Lucie crossed her arms over her chest. "I am frightened for Barbara and Ariadne, and for Piers," she said. "Are you not concerned? Barbara is our family, and Ariadne one of the kindest people I know."

"There is no special protection in this world for kind people," Matthew began, and broke off as Dahlia glared at him. He took another swig from his flask and bared his teeth. "Yes, I'm being a beast. I know that perfectly well."

"Will you shut up? My sister might as well be dying and you're here acting as if nothing is wrong you disgusting bastard."  Dahlia yelled.

"My father always said that to panic before you have all the facts was to fight the enemy's battle for him." said Cordelia, obviously trying to ease the tension.